Anyone else hatching in amidst Hurricane Sandy? UPDATE! 3 ARE ALIVE!!!!

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
I'm CT and I have eggs due to hatch today. Saw some wiggling and heard chirping last night. Really hoped they'd be a bit early to avoid impending power outages. Doesn't look like it'll happen. Our power went out for 5 days last year during Irene. I Keep chirping, tapping and clucking and hoping that will convince them to come out. *sigh This doesn't look well. I do have hand foot warmers standing by.

Anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing to try to keep your eggs warm in the possibility of power outage?

i dont live in the northeast but it came across my mind the same thing you are asking. Responses would be good to know

I fortunately missed Sandy. I had power go out during the hatch during Debie in May. I actually packed them up drove across town to a Marriott that had a back up generator. It was the worst possible timing but I at least salvaged some of the babies. I imagine all your hotels are full.

I'm not sure about the hotels but they seem packed. Our power went out at 8pm. I covered the bator with blankets and two hours later the temps dropped to 89 so I pushed all the eggs as.close togeher as.possible covered them with a towel then set self heating hand warmers on top and then another towel.

At 4 I heard frantic chirpping coming from one egg. I figured it was either roo hot or too cold...but there was nothing I could do. Today I haven't heard anything. I used my oven probe and it says 96.4 degrees but I don't know how warm the eggs are with the warmers on top if the eggs. Well...hope at least some make it and hope our powers on soon! We had no power for 5 days during hurricane Irene.

I have eggs due this week and next week and with the storm was scared if power went out they would chill so if it did go out i was gonna put them under my blanket and incubat them that way. Thankfully the power here didnt go out but it did for 1000 people in my community.

Well...they all died. We are still out of power. But for future references, the hand warmers get quite hot, so the eggs underneath died. Had one frantically chirping but it died. The eggs near the heat lived almost 24 hours but didn't make it either. It's such a loss. I'm so sad. If they would have hatched a day earlier they would have survived. Granted I probably would have had to sleep with them in my shirt! But they could have moved closer or away from the hand warmers. :( so close and all dead.

I'm so sorry I know how heart breaking that can be. Sending you hugs...
hugs.gif

:( Thanks. The worst is that i agreed to get rid of my roo because my husband can't stand the crowing. And I agreed from the beginning no roos. But when Lrrr turned out to be a roo, I kept him long enough to fertilize all my girls eggs. Butters was already laying so I hatched some of hers, and they are the friendliest bunch of chicks ever! Then cheddar chip started laying and I was eating those eggs waiting for one more girl to lay and for cheddar chips eggs to mature a little. Well, then my brahma girl was killed the day she started showing interest in laying. I had some refridgerated pullet eggs of cheddar chip that I threw in the bator...4 made it to lockdown along with all of Butters eggs. So I was hoping to keep Cheddar Chip/Lrrr babies. Then they died. Its going to be too cold to start incubating another batch. *sigh at least my hubby is letting me keep the 2 chicks of butters that we think are roos...just until we know for sure. Maybe then if they are then I might have a week or so get some fertile eggs then. they are only 5 weeks old. But they have a very noticeable comb compared to the others. But their daddy is a brahma and mommy is an olive egger and she has a tiny comb and his is huge. It might be more a genetic thing than sex thing. Oh well. :(

Back
Top Bottom