Anyone else have a non traditional Thanksgiving dinner?

Amanda0609

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
We have prime rib, from a local butcher shop that is grass fed, twice baked potatoes, homemade rolls and cheesecake. I don't like pumpkin pie and turkey is kind of boring. We also stay home, DH and 2 DS. Anyone else do something different?
big_smile.png

I prefer a cookout BBQ, Burgers, Dogs, Brats, Etc. Tailgate food & snacks. Turkey is dry & boring & I prefer Cake to Pie.

I have a Vegetarian Thanksgiving, if that counts as non traditional. But all the I love all the (non meat) traditional Thanksgiving food: squash, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mushroom gravy, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. YUM.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mmmm...Mushroom gravy sounds DELICIOUS!!

My family eats all the traditional foods, but we stay at home and it's just my parents, my brother, and myself. I've always preferred it that way! Definitely more relaxing than traveling all over the place!

Quote:
Mmmm...Mushroom gravy sounds DELICIOUS!!

My family eats all the traditional foods, but we stay at home and it's just my parents, my brother, and myself. I've always preferred it that way! Definitely more relaxing than traveling all over the place!

I almost never go to anyone elses' house for Thanksgiving. Partly because they get freaked out that I'm a vegetarian and it makes them uncomfortable, and also because well meaning people will put something on my plate and say it's vegetarian, but it's really not (ie, chicken broth in the stuffing, etc), so I've made it a habit to stay at home for the most part. But I don't mind, I just make my own meal and I really enjoy relaxing and feeling truly thankful. Another thing I sometimes do is eat at home, then show up at a relatives' house in time for dessert. That way I skip the awkward "Laura doesn't eat meat" part, and we can all sit around and have pie and together time.

And yes, mushroom gravy is delicious and my favorite!! I pour it on everything!
droolin.gif

I am going to make a healthy Thanksgiving this year. Cutting out the butter, brining the turkey, sauteed green beans instead of the cassarole. I also plan on making my own stuffing with apples and celery.

I don't like turkey I make lasagna, but I also do a turkey for the "traditionals" in the family. I start yes single I start cooking the night before starts at brunch of ceiche (sp?) ends with dinner and dessert for about 30 people. 9 am until 7pm then off to black Friday:)

I spent a lot of time last year making a TOFURKY... from internet directions, involving wheat gluten, yuba, and other interesting ingredients. It turned out good, but BIG, and after about 2/3 of a cup serving each of us, we looked at the other 15 or so cups of tofurky, and just groaned... eventually, i fed it to my chickens.... this year, I am prepared to starve, but I'm bringing a real live (well, no, actually dead) homegrown turkey for the inlaws and my family to eat... i don't know what I'm going to do, as the sole vegetarian...

I don't like turkey I make lasagna, but I also do a turkey for the "traditionals" in the family. I start yes single I start cooking the night before starts at brunch of ceiche (sp?) ends with dinner and dessert for about 30 people. 9 am until 7pm then off to black Friday:)

Back
Top Bottom