COCCIDiOSIS (COCCI) IN 17 DAY OLD CHICKS

I discovered if I move the water to a new location in the brooder it peaks the chicks curiosity and they all flock around for a drink. :) So I am keeping one waterer (their favorite for some reason) in it's usual location but moving the other waterer every few hours to peak their interest and encourage drinking. I did get an order of water nipples today. I didn't plan to use them until they went to the coop (not fully built yet) and not sure how I would do it in the garage. Another consideration is it possibly leaking in the brooder/ cardboard box. But it would solve the problem of thm pooping in the water. The Dominiques love roosting on top of the jars of the food and water dispensors. Trouble makers!
barnie.gif

still some too soft stools but barely a trace of visible blood in them. The chicks are all very active and hungry and fully back to themselves. A couple need to put some weight back on however. I made some fresh new natural perches from a 3" wide limb and a scrap piece of lumber today. Also cut a 4" log into 4 different length sections, stood on end, and attached to eachother for them to perch on instead of the food and water dispensors. They needed a change of scene and something new to play on. Slowly but surely.

We are on day 5 of the Corid treatment. Still seeing some loose peanut butter colored stool and some solid with traces of blood. Still getting brooder cleaned twice day but I am almost out of newpaper for lining. Still getting fresh Corid water (emergency dose of 1 gallon/ 1 1/2t ratio) in dispenser which gets washed twice daily, still getting feed a plate of fried egg mash (with ground oats and Graham's organic chick starter in corid water) every morning, dry chick starter always available, and a plate of chick starter feed and crumbles mixed and mashed with corid water in the evening. Brooder is lined with 3 layers of newspaper to protect the brooder box, a layer of paper towel and a light layer of wood shavings. When I do see a few messy poo's I add a handful of shavings over to cover it.

No loss of life yet which is most important though a couple chicks did get rather thin.

How long should I continue the emergency dose? I think I read 5 - 7 days somewhere? What if I am still seeing blood at 7 days?

If you still see blood at 7 days, consider using sulfadimethoxine. Dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 6 days. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything to the mixture. It must be their sole source of treated water to drink.
http://www.jefferspet.com/products/di-methox-soluble-powder-107gm
I forgot to add that after the corid treatment is completed, give them buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg to eat for one day prior to giving them the sulfadimethoxine, and again after dosing with sulfdimethoxine. Dont use yogurt.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Dawg! Is that "strictly" egg and buttermilk for a day or "in addition" to their chick feed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom