COCCIDiOSIS (COCCI) IN 17 DAY OLD CHICKS

MaryOos

Chirping
Jun 1, 2015
So here we go again. I've got my first chicks ever, hatched May18 and arrived May 20. 6 Dominiques, 5 Salmon Fav's, and 5 Columbian Wyandottes. 3 days later I added 2 silkies and 2 polish that I bought locally. The brooder is made from 2 huge Costco potato crates, ends cut off and joined together. And there is a large sheet of cardboard cut to fit the bottom. Always 2 feeders and 2 waterers available. Bedding was wood chips with paper towel over to prevent sprattle leg and it was easy to examine poo. I cleaned twice a day by removing the towel, stirring up the wood chips a bit, and laying down fresh towels. Water changed twice a day and dispensers washed daily. Food dispensers were washed weekly. They have natural branch perch's which they started using immediately but only by day to sit back and watch the others. At night they liked to sprawl out in small cuddle groups on the floor.

At 1 1/2 weeks they were getting bored and fighting and there was some feather pulling of the older Frizzle Polish. I looked up how to entertain chicks on pinterest and then pulled the towel from a section and set in a cut down box with some sandy garden soil for dust baths and gave them some clumps of clover (roots, dirt and all). The plucking and fighting stopped. They loved the dirt and clover and dandy greens. They did not love their food however. Husband came home with 2 5lb bags of Manna Pro chick crumbles which I started them on and they adored. But it was only available in 5lb bags for $8 a bag. That's $80 for 50lbs!!!!! I found Graham's organic chick food for $38 and started mixing their food to change over. So three things happening here - #1 - 4 new chicks introduced, #2 dirt and greens introduced, and #3 new feed introduced.

First warning was I saw a drop of blood. I thought one of the naughty dominiques was at the polish again. I didn't find wounds on anyone. I continued to watch the areas with paper towel but I had been increasing the wood chip area as they seemed to prefer it, especially for sleeping during a cold snap we had. Everything looked fine for a couple more days. And then............a poo with laced with bloody mucus and then reddish brown diarrhea. I ran to the farm co-op and got the Corid after reading what to use on BYC after I put down more paper towel to keep watch. In a couple hours there were more bloody than not bloody stools. This morning I was afraid to look in the brooder to see how many I lost during the night. Just 18 hrs after giving Corid (emergency dosing). the stools look so much better. Still a couple bad ones but more normal (dark greenish with white) than bad.

No one ever lost their appetite. A couple of the Salmon Faverolles were looking a little fluffed but then they have all been looking fluffier than the others the way their feathers are coming in and the chick fluff is puffing out before it falls out. So it is hard to say there. I fed the flock some mash mash with fried egg ran through the food processor and mixed with some of their feed, some old fashioned oats (also run through the processor) and then all soaked in corid water. Their feed blended with eggs and water is a treat they never turn down and that way I knew everyone got a good dose of corid this morning. While they ate on one end of the brooder I sectioned off half and gave it the best cleaning ever (cleaned out, shop vac'd, and new bedding). Then moved their feed to the other end and did the same.

So after yesterdays blood bath here is what we have returned to today -
only one looking like this mess

Much better one but still has a little blood at the bottom edge that looks more yellow in picture

No sign of blood but an awful lot of moisture. They were just eating the watered mash though.

And finally, what I would consider as a newbie, to be the perfect poop. There are far more of these and the wet ones this morning, just 3 laced with blood, and only the one really nasty one.

And then they started picking at the poops which are so obvious to them on white towel so I scattered a very light layer of wood shavings to disguise.
And here is the chicks feeding station. The plastic covered container is filled with tap water to weight it and set in the center of the pie plate to keep them from all standing in the dish (live and learn) to eat their corid mash. There were 2 pie plates full to start. I combined the remaining bits into one dish and added more water. They will have that plate licked clean after they sleep off the initial feeding, LOL. As you can see, scattered wood shavings on towel to hopefully prevent poo eating.

And this is the brooder. It has 2 heat lamps. During the cold spell I sectioned off one end to hold more heat and placed flattened boxes over top to help insulate. The Costco potato cartons are awesome for brooders as they do not have any square corners.

I'd like to hope I acted quickly enough and am out of the woods. But the first poop pic tells me someone is still very much in danger. Hard to say who with 20 of them. I was going to list some of them on CraigsList this weekend. I am only allowed 6 (will likely keep 8) but had to order a minimum of 15. Now I am going to have to keep them all quite a bit longer than planned until I know they are all well. :( How long do I need to keep them to be certain they don't bring cocci to a new home?

So how did I handle my big emergency as a newbie? Should I have acted on the first spot of blood with a preventative dose? They were on pro-biotics and electrolytes when this happened. Should I get new boxes for the brooder asap? Or maybe wait until I no longer see blood in stools. The bottom is kept lined heavily in news paper (which has been changed) with paper towel over and light shavings on that. I don't see any stool on the walls of the brooder. Do you think the dirt introduced was the most likely culprit?

Last edited:
Is there anything more I could be doing? I just gave the brooder it's second thorough clean-out and scrubbed the food and water dispensors again. Doesn't look as rosey as this morning. About 50/50 bloody poops with diarrhea. I don't know what else I can do. To make matters worse, one of the dominiques was very fluffed up when I cleaned. Bringing out another batch of egg mash made with the corid water shortly. Anything? Anyone? Are they doomed and no one wants to deliver the bad news?

You are doing well with the food mix, but it's critical to also have the Corid in the drinking water at 1 1/2 tsp per gallon. Use the same mix in the feed, as chicks that don't feel well may not eat a full ration.

Yes! Thank you so much! 1 1/2 t per gallon as well as the save a chick probiotics and electrolytes that they have been on since arrival. I have 2 separate water stations. Doing complete clean out of the brooder twice daily including shop vac. It is cardboard however so only cleaning out the bedding. Mixing some mash/ porridge of fried egg run through the food processor, oats and their feed with some of the corid water. Anything I can think to get that water in them. Last time I was out I thought I lost a Faverolle. Everyone got up and moving except her when I came out with more mash. She did finally eat after I picked her up. And then drank a bit before laying back down. Everyone still eating but there was definitely more fluffing than usual in the favs and the dominiques. I am heart sick and puzzled how this happened. I have thoroughly cleaned daily and sometimes twice daily when they got too messy. One issue has been the dominiques who like to sit on top of the feed and water jars. They are so much more agile than the other breeds I have.

Last edited:
If they make it (sounds promising!) they will be immune most likely to future cocci. We've never had it, my understanding is that it can be a bit regional, like if your diet has it...you always will.
Anyway, the only thing I wanted to add is you probably shouldn't give the electrolytes...they are mainly just salt to encourage the chicks to drink more. It might not be a good combo with their runny poo too, the might be a little dehydrated from the combo? But maybe someone with experience will chime in. Generally you only give it to health chicks the first few days not a solid week.

Thank you for thoughts. I debated if I should add either of the save a chick supplements. Pretty much everything I google and read about chicken first aide applies to adults rather than young chicks so I didn't find a mention of it. I hope someone else chimes in on this one. Would love to know for sure. At this point I am questioning just about everything. Another thought could be because I NEED them to drink to get enough Corid which is in the water and I really need them to drink to get the meds. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I do have the last of the electrolytes mixed with the Corid right now. I bought more probiotics but not the electrolytes this week as I was going to end that.

Thank you so Much Enola. By meds I am referring to the Corid.
frow.gif

Added - I just brought out the morning mash. Everyone is alive which is great news in itself as I thought I lost a Faverolle last night. But all the Faverolle's were up and eating and no one was fluffed up this morning. I dumped the corid water I mixed last night and re-filled minus the electrolytes and pro-biotics. Waterers all washed and re-filled. Will scoured the brooder again after they have had some time to fill up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom