Anyone Else Have a Special Needs Bird? *pics*

Grey and green feathers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Boise, Idaho
Coturnix quail are the best survivors i have ever seen, and i just needed to share this girl's story. she was hatched at an expo i was speaking at, and her chances were looking dim. i read that the condition only worsens with age and they often die only a few days old. still, i took her home. many people advised me that it would be more humane just to put her down since she would otherwise starve, but i still had hope and gave her a few days.
95043_img_1981.jpg

her beak was severely crooked and her right eye was missing. it looked as if the whole top half of her head was swiveled. i gave her special attention and sugar water to keep calories in her while she figured out how to eat. the rest was totally up to her. amazingly, she learned how to shovel up food! she kept growing. i was still hopeful, but hesitant to think she would reach adulthood.
95043_braces.jpg

her condition did continue to become more pronounced, but this little bird stayed determined and continued compensating for the deformity. needless to say, i was proud of her and becoming more optimistic by the day. i started sharing stories and photos of her on facebook for my family. everybody who was rooting for her from the beginning asked to see her whenever they visited. she continued to grow and developed an enormous personality.
95043_bravery.jpg

here she is today. always cheeky and stuffed with character. she is quite fat and has a special cage next to the back door where she is accompanied by any other females that are needing some time away from the group. she is allowed to roam the yard often (a special priveledge, indeed.) the top part of her beak turned down and it seems to have quit worsening. needless to say, she has become sort of a mascott and her bravery is an inspiration.
smile.png

if anybody else has a special needs bird, i would love to hear their story
smile.png

I love this story!! What an inspiration!!

We have a leghorn chicken who we thought was just shy. After some extra attention, we realized she was actually blind. She is almost a year old and has learned to adapt to her surroundings and is one of my best layers. (Always find her eggs in the corner of the coop- never in the nesting boxes.) today, I took some gingerbread cake out to them that was clearly not going to get eaten and wasting counter space. I placed it about twenty feet from the coop in the yard and I noticed that Snowball was right out with the flock to enjoy a treat with them.

We did not expect her to make it. She has been found in so many places as my chickens free range. Once several rows out in the cornfield when the temp was over 100 for a few days. In my garage, under vehicles, stuck behind the grill on the patio, etc. As she has gotten older, she has learned where her comfort zone is and not to stray too far from the coop.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Very touching that you are taking care of them. Some people cull those types of birds. I am sure you have earned some points on the universal scale. Precious birds.
smile.png

Yes, a very touching story! I've had a few birds with special needs that I have taken care of, nursed back to health and such over the years. Truth be told, I would have culled that chick, but as you have aptly demonstrated. My general belief, that a coturnix with one good eye, that can see how to eat and drink are keepers! It's good that you keep her mostly by herself or at least with pen mates that will not over compete with her. I wish her a long and happy life!
smile.png

Quote:
that is very cool
smile.png
its amazing when they learn to get around their handicaps. i honestly did think of culling her. part of the reason i took her was because i knew i was one of the only ones with the heart to end her suffering if she wasnt doing too well. i guess i figured a few days wouldnt hurt her and it was hard to look into that face and deny her a chance. if she wasnt ready to give up, neither was i
wink.png

Last edited:
I have a full grown white crooked beak hen, I thought it was a roo so I separated it from the others and it laid an egg lmao. I will try to get some better pics of her face in a bit but here is some pics of her colors

img4090y.jpg

img4088cd.jpg

I adopted a blind americauna hen & a 1 eyed BR turkey hen (has a mate)
with a group this winter. They stay with the flock and I do take the blind girl
& stuff her into the feed bag every day so she gets her share. She stay a little
thin but seems to do well, & goes out of the pen daily, which they didnt get
before the adoption.

Bless your heart for taking care of that quail!!!

It is wonderful what you are doing with this special needs bird. I've had a few over the years but don't have any pictures. It's amazing how some birds like this can adapt to the problem, eat, and sometimes get along surprisingly well.

Brava!!!! You did it. You saved her life and what a beauty she is now. Look at her plump chest!!! What a gem....and I don't just mean her...You are a patient and kind person. I admire that. I, like Joe would have culled too, but when I see these things and these special needs animals of any kind, I am moved by the brave, driven people who choose life and extra care. My sister, my father in law, and now my self are physically disabled now. The patience required for keeping/helping an animal of any species, be it Quail, Dog, Cat, Horse or Human, is huge. I offer you thanks.

Someone will come along with more. I just know. Thank you for your gift of fortitude.

Back
Top Bottom