Anyone else have a vacation scheduled on the Gulf?

Where on the gulf are you going. The beaches are still open and only a few tar balls have shown up so far. Here in Florida the chamber of commerce is running ads telling people not to worry the beaches are OK and no oil. I would check with the chamber of commerce of the area where you are going. The media has effectively destroyed the tourist season here for no reason the beaches are fine so far. Also alot of the resorts are doing a live view of the beaches t prove it is ok

Quote:
Absolutly correct! Here in Texas we are clear at this point (praise the Lord) I believe most of the mess on the shores is LA and MS. I have heard from friends that the fish (sharks as well) are a bit more plentiful because of the spill.
I would take my vacation in AZ if I had any time, no boycott on my part.

Seeing lots of ads on TV saying the beaches are open.

Also saw on the news that there are lots of sharks being spotted in the shallow waters. However you are more likely to be bitten by a shark off Va beach and the Outer Banks of NC at dawn and dusk than just about any place else. STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!!

One reason I prefer lakes to oceans. No fish bigger with a mouth bigger than mine!!

PLEASE!! I want a vacation AWAY from this place. I'm NOT a beach person and as hot and humid as its been here on the Emerald Coast I'd rather be on top of a mountain in the PNW.
Last nights 10pm news report said the Pensacola Beach was pristine. No oil in sight and crystal clear water.

Quote:
Orange Beach. They are operating on a flag system. One flag is just a recommendation you don t go in the water and 2 flags means it is against the law to go inthe water. In the past week it looks like the beach was CLOSED at least one day.

Last edited:
Orange Beach, if I remember correctly, has been closed more than open. The bulk of the oil spill is almost in sight of Orange Beach. Walton County (FL) Beaches were probably next to be affected. (Sandestin, eastward)

Just got a report from one of our drivers coming back in from the panhandle that a local radio station down there reported that that workers were cleaning up tarballs on Pensacola Beach when an oil slick rolled onto the beach....thick as pancake batter.
sad.png

Going to Key West in July, come Hell or, errrrr, oil. But I go for friends, family and the food. Never much cared about the beach. The beaches in KW are nasty anyway, and in my opinion, always have been.

Back
Top Bottom