Anyone else have a vacation scheduled on the Gulf?

Quote:
barnie.gif

When it comes to beach pollution, I am not sure what is worse, BP's tar balls or the raw untreated sewage from Tijuana washing back on the San Diego beaches. At least BP has plugged the darn thing.

Rufus

We've been down here since Sunday. The beach has been great. There are warnings not to get in the water but everyone does anyway.
roll.png
I only allowed my son to get his feet wet. There are tar balls on the beach but they are tiny. If there is any debri in the water it gets washed up on shore covered in oil. There are people cleaning the beaches all night long, I can see them from our balcony.We've never been down here in the summer without a huge crowd. It looks more like a "winter" crowd. We have a pool and have spent alot of time in it. Lots of good deals on units if anyone wants to come on down. Check out the facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/GulfShoresOrangeBeach?ref=ts

Quote:
barnie.gif

When we went down to Florida to watch the Blue Angels fly I was shocked by how much worse the oil is there. You can even smell it and see oil in the water.

I have spent the last week researching something my FIL said about WWII.

There were over 175 ships sunk off the east coastline, the bulk of them off Cape Hatteras, but they spread all the way to Key West. Over 50 of them were tankers. One was the biggest tanker in the world at the time carrying 185,000 barrels of crude.

Most people had no idea since the news was blacked out. The beaches were open of course, they simply put buckets out with paint brushes, full of kerosene so you could use it to wash off you feet!

I am not saying this isn't a major catastrophe or that swimming with all that oil didn't give people cancer, but swim they did. Going through the records I could find indicated that over 3 million barrels of petroleum products were dumped into the Atlantic along the east coast from January 1942 to June 1942.

There are differences, but it does give a new perspective doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom