Anyone else have an egg explode?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bheila, May 28, 2008.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I have heard that eggs can explode if bad or rotten. My muscovy was setting on her eggs and after waiting for them all to hatch she had 2 that weren't showing signs of life. So like I always do, I proceeded to open the eggs to see if the eggs just didn't develop or if they started to and then died. I opened the first one and nothing developed at all. I tapped on the seconded egg just one time and KABOOM!!!!!! I never realized the sheer force that a bad egg could have. I was outside behind the house and my husband could hear the egg explode inside the house over my screaming. It was like a gun went off. Thank goodness the egg had a fullsize chick inside that had passed away. I can't imagine the mess and stink that I would have had on me if it would have been all gooey inside still. Just thought that I would see if anyone else has had this happen.

2. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes! It just happened to me the other week. Only much worse.
    My black australorp was sitting on 3 eggs. One hatched, then after 2 days I checked on the remaining eggs.
    For some reason, I decided to hold one up to my ear and shake it.
    You guessed it -- BOOM! -- and with no chick inside. Just green goo that got all over me!
    Nasty, foul smell! I delicately placed the other egg in a garbage bag and tapped it.
    It exploded in the bag.

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I found one outside from a Robin or something in my driveway. When I picked it up to move it so we wouldn't run over it is exploded all over the place. Then today I had a Cream Barbanter I had in the bator explode in the sink. I was candeling and seeing if any were developed or just clear. I'm glad I had it over the sink and not in my bator!

4. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Quote:Oh My! That sounds horrible. Making some mental notes about what not to do.

[​IMG]

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Having an egg explode definitely makes you think twice about doing it again. I only do it for the learning process. I will be sure to use a plastic bag next time.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yep. Isn't it gross...oh the smell takes your breath away! One exploded under my fluffy white silkie hen. After a bath she still smelled a little! Learned to candle after that fiasco.[​IMG]:tongue:sick:sick

7. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    ME! It's an experience that I'll never forget!

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I'm sorry but

[​IMG]

that made me laugh!

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    been there.... done that!!! The smell is horrible!! My hubby came in from outside and looked at me real funny!

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Now I know to use a bag to test them! [​IMG] I don't want these stories to be mine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by