ANyone else have heart pangs after giving away some of their chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by McGoo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel so badly about giving away a few of my birds even though they've gone to good homes and I suspect they will live happy chicken lives. Anyone else ever feel this way... or maybe I'm just too sensitive? It's really not easy from where I sit. [​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You sound perfectly normal to me! [​IMG]

I just adopted out some ducklings and while I know they are going to be in a good safe home, part of me is sad to see them go.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Are you kidding? I even the get the address of where they are going if they are people I don't know and I check up on them! I tell them they have a 100% return guarantee, you can't keep them send them home before you give them to someone else. I practically kiss them goodbye and give them stationary to write home on. It KILLS me to see them go!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have several little cockerels (some about 11 weeks and some 3 weeks) and while I KNOW I can't keep them, it kills me to think of getting rid of them. Especially the 3 week olds as I hatched these out.....I guess I feel like I truly am "mom". Yeah, you are perfectly normal. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH YES! I cry every time! I only give them away to people that will promise to send pics. I gave away a cochin that I hatched out myself and I STILL miss it! But I know it will be fine and the young man who took him/her will love it! AND send me pics too [​IMG] Hope you feel better...I know it's hard :aww

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh yea...definately...I feel like a traitor to them!! When I call them, they come running to " momma " and I grqab them up and have to stuff them in a gage/box?? I feel ike such a heel! I know they are going to be ok....but still... [​IMG]

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Okay here it comes, the other side of the coin.

I don't get teary eyed. If they're going, theyre going.
    That's all.

I know I sound like a heartless SOB, but really, I don't feel emotional over this. I don't get so attached. I like them, I care for them, I steward them. In many ways, they have it better with me than most.

But if they gotta go, they gotta go.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I care for them while they are here but the ones I send on their way I try not to get attached to. I do feel a few little pangs and the sense of 'why not just keep the little poop machines' but it passes. The ones I am attached too are still in the barn.

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Nope, it doesn't bother me in the least. I incubated and hatched 15 blue Orpington X blue Orpington chicks. After a week, I gave away the five splashes. This week I bought a trio of silkies, blue hen, black hen, blue rooster. I kept the beautiful blue hen for my wife and gave away the black hen (gorgeous breeder quality) and the non-stop-(drove me nuts)-crowing rooster (show quality). They all went to a good home, and I did not need them.

10. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks all for your support.

I've checked in on those that I've given away and they are all doing well. I will try to move on, but don't know about hatching out anymore any time soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by