Anyone else have "issues" with eating their chickens eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Iansmommy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Iansmommy

Iansmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I know this is strange, but I am having a hard time eating the eggs that my chickens are laying. I love eggs and have always eaten them. But for some reason I am having a hangup with eating the eggs that our chickens lay. It's not the taste because I haven't really tasted them yet. I have eaten them in things like cookies, but I can't bring myself to eat them scrambled, poached or fried etc.

Did/does anyone else experience this?

2. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    yep i did but i got over it. just have one of them boiled and youll understand why

3. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    At first, but I got over it [​IMG] Now, I would probably gag over a storebought, blah, colorless egg!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I remember nibbling at the first egg I cooked sunnyside up thinking it might taste different.

But I'm with me&thegals... I'd probably gag over store bought eggs now.....

Home grown, freshly laid eggs are WAYYYYY tastier!

5. Minx

Minx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    Yes I had issues when I first got my hens. I needed to know that they were wormed properly, disease free etc and once I could see happy healthy hens running around that was when we started eating the eggs.

I now trust my hens eggs more than I would ever trust store bought eggs.

6. hereachick

hereachick Out Of The Brooder

yup, me too! At first I couldn't eat them at all.Then I boiled up a bunch,peeled them and took a small,small bite of one. OMG! That was it! Now I'm hooked YUM!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:HAHA! And whats funny is I'd take my chances on a barnyard birds eggs anyday now that I've learned what they inject commercial layers and meat birds with....

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    The only issues I have is when they don't lay quick enough to keep up. Hard to eat eggs that are not there.

9. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    Well, at first, I just treasured my eggs and wouldn't let anyone eat them, they were just for look at. If you can imagine! Then I was the last to eat one. .....I did feel funny about it, I started with scrambled eggs and went from there, now I don't give it a second thought.

10. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I don't have a problem with it, I had chickens as a youngster. Some of the people at my job can't belive I eat them. Cause you know they're not sterilzed like store bought eggs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by