Anyone else have "issues" with eating their chickens eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Iansmommy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Iansmommy

Iansmommy In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    I know this is strange, but I am having a hard time eating the eggs that my chickens are laying. I love eggs and have always eaten them. But for some reason I am having a hangup with eating the eggs that our chickens lay. It's not the taste because I haven't really tasted them yet. I have eaten them in things like cookies, but I can't bring myself to eat them scrambled, poached or fried etc.

Did/does anyone else experience this?

2. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    yep i did but i got over it. just have one of them boiled and youll understand why

3. me&thegals

me&thegals Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    At first, but I got over it [​IMG] Now, I would probably gag over a storebought, blah, colorless egg!

4. I remember nibbling at the first egg I cooked sunnyside up thinking it might taste different.

But I'm with me&thegals... I'd probably gag over store bought eggs now.....

Home grown, freshly laid eggs are WAYYYYY tastier!

5. Minx

Minx In the Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    Yes I had issues when I first got my hens. I needed to know that they were wormed properly, disease free etc and once I could see happy healthy hens running around that was when we started eating the eggs.

I now trust my hens eggs more than I would ever trust store bought eggs.

6. hereachick

hereachick In the Brooder

yup, me too! At first I couldn't eat them at all.Then I boiled up a bunch,peeled them and took a small,small bite of one. OMG! That was it! Now I'm hooked YUM!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Quote:HAHA! And whats funny is I'd take my chances on a barnyard birds eggs anyday now that I've learned what they inject commercial layers and meat birds with....

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Songster

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    The only issues I have is when they don't lay quick enough to keep up. Hard to eat eggs that are not there.

9. sis

sis Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    Well, at first, I just treasured my eggs and wouldn't let anyone eat them, they were just for look at. If you can imagine! Then I was the last to eat one. .....I did feel funny about it, I started with scrambled eggs and went from there, now I don't give it a second thought.

10. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I don't have a problem with it, I had chickens as a youngster. Some of the people at my job can't belive I eat them. Cause you know they're not sterilzed like store bought eggs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: