Anyone else have "issues" with eating their chickens eggs?

I've never had chickens before, so when my 2 girls started laying eggs, the only real thought was treating them special. 'mere' store bought eggs would be used for mixes and batter coating. the girls eggs would be treated special -- boiled, or scrambled. they are in a special refridgerator and sit there waiting for their noble purpose!

i did feel guilty for 1/2 a second after eating a chicken knowing that it was related to my girls. but im over it
smile.png

After my wife saw the rooster doing his thing with a hen, she said she would never be a part of that kind of violence. She refused to eat the eggs, but she is old and forgets. I feed them to her anyway.

Rufus

I guess I'm just a ghoul. I got my first two eggs today, and it never occured to me to pass on eatting them. Admittedly, I haven't cracked them yet, but only because I was already cooking. Currently, there is an argument over who they belong to, me (my idea, my girls) or my son who found them first.

Infertile eggs wouldn't bother me in the least. It be like worrying about drinking milk from a cow. I'd have to say even a fertile egg only has the potential to be a peep. The reality is if your hen isn't broody, that egg would never hatch naturally.

I have a couple roos maturing now. Let's see how I feel when they hit their stride.
roll.png

Quote:
LOL!!My roo was re-homed shortly after his practice crowing was perfected and his hormones kicked in last year...and when he would mount my hens, they would scream like they were being raped, I can totally understand your wifes' feelings about that..looks like a non-consensual act to me and between that and the possibility of the egg being fertile..no way was I eating them...I could make myself gag just thinking about it! That little girl of yours Redhead, may always associate her eggs with that scene, can't say that I blame her. Maybe buy some egg beaters for a while so she will learn that they come from a carton too and stop thinking of the laying scene
wink.png

This will really gross out those of you who are concerned about eating fertile eggs: the embryo in a fertile egg starts to form before the egg is even laid. By the time the egg is laid there may be an 8-16 cell embryo on the yolk. On a very warm day the embryo may continue to develop before the egg is gathered & stored. These embryos are much too small to be seen with the naked eye but they're there.

I can't imagine not eating the eggs from the hens your have cared so carefully for. They are delicious! The best part are the rich, creamy yolks. I can't stand the thought of thin, pale puddle from store boughten eggs now. Eat them and enjoy them.
Gram

i saw a show on TV a good while ago, and they were showing a huge egg operation from somewhere. it was row after row and stacked sky high of chickens in itty bitty wire cages, with egg "shoots" rolling the eggs from their cages.
The chickens hardly had room to move. it just sickened me! and I know that chickens commercially raised for meat have it 100 times worse.

if you can picture this in your mind - you probably won't ever be able to eat store eggs, and your eggs will taste all the better, knowing what fortunate,pampered lives they are living.
I really enjoy my girls eggs.

As for fertile eggs, i don't mind them. we have a small rooster, and he is kind (and extremely quick) in his mating. I don't think he hurts them at all.

Back
Top Bottom