Anyone else have "issues" with eating their chickens eggs?

I only have one that's laying and I wait outside the coop like a ghoul. I thought I'd have enough excess eggs to sell, but I'm beginning to doubt it. I can eat eggs daily--if they come from my girls!

i have issues !!!!

we cant get enough of em lol
wink.png

i have no problem eating the eggs from my girls.
finally finally went from 2 to 5 , a day !!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

i was very suprized when i went to get my two eggs and there were three in the nest ! and two in another one !!! popular nest box , i guess.
wee.gif

i kant spell

Last edited:
Back a zillion years ago and I was in middle school, we had to watch eggs develop into chicks -- so we were forced to view the tiny beating hearts, etc. right up until the real baby chicks hatched -- I still have nightmares!

Our daughter's class did a hatching experiment in middle school -- and the chicks were then to go back to Holly Farms (the biggest chicken processing plant at that time)
Well, Liza, stole one of the baby chicks and brought it home in her bookbag -- this was 'Florence Pearl' who lived happily in our barn for many years --

But -- if my chicken house is EVER finished and I actually get the hens, I will definitely be eating the eggs!

When my first hen laid her first egg I was literally sitting there waiting for her to finish and pick her butt up so I could get the egg - which I did. It was still hot and I ran it inside and DH and I soft fried it and sopped up the yolk with toast and thought we had died and gone to heaven it was so good. At that time we did not have a rooster and only had a dozen girls.

A year and half later and some 60 hens and 12 roosters and dozens of eggs a day - I no longer have the same thrill. We have roosters now and broody hens and I put eggs in the incubator and hatch more chicks. So it is getting harder for me to eat the eggs now that I know they are fertile because I want to hatch them all.

I love the eggs my chickens lay! They taste sooo much better than store bought!! I have no roosters though and gag at the thought of eating a fertile egg..that I could not do!!!

That is another reason why I am having a hard time. We do have a rooster so I know the eggs are fertile.

I think thats whats bothering me too. I can eat the eggs from the hens in with no roos, but two groups have a roo and I worry it will be a fertile egg so I have not eaten those. I pick them right away but still worry.I guess thats pretty silly, but I can't get past that. Now hatching fertile eggs is something I would love to try someday. I want to start in the spring.
Michele

My MIL and FIL would bring us fresh eggs and I said I wanted my own chickens. Not knowing their eggs were fertile I ate them. Now that I have my own, and 2 Roo's I can't eat them. I know my eggs are fertile so I sell them to other people. I have make $6.00 so far. LOL But I have only sold 3 dozen. I only have five now laying and for the longest time only two.

But anyway, I can't not eat them. MY DH and DS eat them every Sunday morning.
sickbyc.gif

Just can't help laughing!!! We had no problems whatever when our hens starting laying... in fact, we eat close to 10 dozen eggs a week ~ BUT ~ and this is a BIIIGGG BUTTTTT ~ once my daughter was out there RIGHT when the egg plopped out of the hens backside ~ she saw the vent get all big, and gooey, and then out plopped that fresh, wet egg ~ and ever after, she has a REALLY HARD time eating them.

Even though she KNOWS she loves eggs, even though the ones from our hens taste SO much BETTER than store bought, ESPECIALLY in whatever you are cooking them with, like bread, pasta, cookies, etc....

Now, it's been about 3 weeks since the ~Egg Incident~, & she is finally able to eat eggs again, just not sunnyside up. AND, she waits till the hens are ALL the way done laying now ~ she doesn't want to be reminded so forcefully of where those eggs are coming from, I think.
:-D
~Red

Back
Top Bottom