Anyone else have issues with theft/trespassing?

We sell produce at a local farmers market on Saturdays. Yesterday one of our fellow vendors, an elderly couple, told us that they had been " rustled" during the past week. Someone had come onto their property and stolen the honey out of numerous hives. Further, another elderly couple we know had been out of town for a week or so only to come home and find some woman in their yard with a shovel digging up their flowers. When confronted she said " I thought y'all had gone to the nursing home so I was going to dig up your plants so they wouldn't go to waste." What has the world and its' people come to?

No they don't.
Our cousin was talking with a guy once and was asked about a certain building on a neighbors property. This guy was asking about an antique bike that was in this building that was hidden in the back.

We have some grain bins on our uncles place. DH locked up our fuel tanks up after we had over 100 gallons of fuel stolen. there is a shack that holds some of our stuff. Well someone got in there and stole a bunch of our uncles tools.

I would pick one area and start fencing. That is pretty much the only way you are going to keep these people out. I know about the cost we only have a few miles of fence to maintain each year.

i thought about that type of thing as i was typing
yes there are a few good shepherds that can be good around birds
but if you tryied that with an adult sheperd there is a good chance that you would be short a few chickens
don't get me wrong i love a good German shepherd
they have many uses
German Shepherds and sled dogs can be wonderful dogs. But they have a very strong prey drive. You might be able to overcome that in a German Shepherd, but I wouldn't even try with a Malamute or Husky. Geese and Guineas will let you know if someone is around. And so will a good outdoor dog. Good luck!!

I have always found large dogs very loud ? which may be what you're after ? But we have had large dogs and I would never get another one , I prefer the medium sized dogs ,especially the Blue Heelers ! They don't bark , or at least very little , they prefer to sneak up and then what you would most likely hear is a growl and then they come at ya ! Plus they make wonderful protectors ! Ours would always be your shadow when we went outside , my wife walks so she had no fears as the dog has absolutely none as well .Heelers take the property as there is ,and they will defend it to the end if needed .Most people won't look back if they see a dog coming at them , most just find there second wind and go . But it's also a very lovable dog , my nephew had one as a house pet and it was fantastic , protective , but it trained well so it was a welcome addition to the family .Best get something that will protect you and then the property ?

Personally, I HATE trespassers.

I think the best, easiest, cheapest, and most effective way to protect your stuff is as follows...

1. Buy or hand write on scrap wood "all trespassers will be shot" signs and post them where the most people trespass and will see them.

2. You don't need a real fence, use rope tied from tree to tree, or something like that to mark your boundaries and make it clear where your property starts. Remember, a human can climb any fence, you just need to make it clear where your property starts, you don't need a real fence. Again, you can just string the rope over those areas where people are most likely to enter your land.

3. Gather any and all animal skulls or dead critters and stick them on stakes where trespassers will see them. If people think you are crazy and bloodthirsty, they will stay away. :D An animal skull on top of a "will shoot trespassers" sign, and I am sure you won't have any more trespassers.

4. I don't like dogs. But, I like geese. Also, in my experience the geese would 1. Hear someone coming up the drive before the dogs did, and 2. The geese never gave false alarm calls.

My barn owner had 2 of her solar powered fence batteries stolen last week, they were located 40 acres in from the road, back by the hay fields....

There is a small tack store near me with a long drive way, they put one of those sensors with the beam that when broken by some one walking OR driving up, chimes in the house
so they know some one is coming.
Perhaps you could do something like that.
A friend of mine has solar powered spot lights that will light up when a motion detector is activated by someone or thing walking or moving in the area.
I think that would be a great idea for the front of the road, also by your barn in a few areas.

I would get a stock gate, good posts and a big sign and put the posts and gate up at the top of the road where the driveway meets it, and put the sign on that.
It should discourage anyone from coming up that way
ALSO.. get some signs and put them near your No Trespassing signs..."Smile you are on camera" and "Trespassers will be shot!"

When we first moved to our property we had trespasser problems during deer season. There is a cleared lane around our property that was cut when it was surveyed so some people figured it was a made just for them to put deer stands up on, in one case a stand was put up one the tree I had a no trespassing sign on. I took the stands down and used the lumber for building projects. One or two of them came back and when I caught the people on the stands we had a nice talk about how a no trespassing sign really does apply to them even if they hunted that land for years and years, the fact that I was carrying an AR-15 really seemed to back up my point. Never had any problems after that.

The only problem we have now is with people just showing up uninvited or without calling. We sell birds from the house and some people seem to think once they make a purchase they can just stop by any time and see what you have for sale, we always tell them to call first so we can round up the dogs. Once again some people figure that doesn't apply to them. It's kind of funny to see the look on their faces and how fast they can get back in the vehicle when a 90+ pound pit bull comes running at them.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom