Anyone else have lots of different animals? I can't be the only one...

Quote:
All that and you're scared of horses?! I have a few Mini horses that could help you with getting over your fear
wink.png
Trust me, horses are nuthin compared to that piggy if he or she is anything like my PB Pig
hide.gif
I swear, some days it seems like my pig is smarter than me!!

I know, we have had horses. I wont get in the pen with them, they can kick sideways....
lau.gif
People laugh at me I will crawl right in the pen with a 2000 pound bull but not a horse. I have thought of getting a mini horse or 2. My 11 yr old GD loves horses.

We have to many I firmly agree, problem is once you have them, how can you get rid of them? That said all our animals are up to date on shots, are well fed, well taken care of, and very much loved. I sometimes worry myself that we have "too many" but compared to what many have we don't have that many. Yes we don't have a lot of money, yes we would have more if we didn't have the animals, but our bills are paid, we have food, and to me the animals are our hobbies. DH would like it if we got rid of some, but for the last 4 years I have been the one working (and doing half to most of the animal care) while he sleeps till 1pm and then plays on the computer. So I figure if I want to spend my money on animals I should be able to.

That being said we have :

4 dogs 2 outside,2 inside(one is my sister in laws but lives here, and one is my nieces but lives here, they pay for food and vet bills for them
3 cats -2inside 1 outside
7 rabbits we breed for meat/fur/pets/show and 5 that where dumped at our house (they run around but we feed them and make sure they have shelter and water though we couldn't catch them without a net
1 guinea pig
10 guinea fowl
1 miniature horse
12 ducks
22 hens
1 rooster

I wouldn't mind finding a nice pair of Toulouse Geese this spring but otherwise our numbers will stay about the same.

Glad Im not the only one with multi-animals

I have had a lot of Ball pythons a few years ago, we took over for a rescue, so had some in rehab, and some waiting in QT before going into the reptile room.
I also had a LOT of tarantulas, mostly little bitty babies, I grow them up very well. And of course had african soft fur rats as they breed like crazy, aren't very cute or loveable.
And after the babies are born, they are small enough for small colubrid snakes to eat, but grow fast, and mice for feeders too.
so about 35 snakes, 40 tarantulas and colonies of rodents.
I have a LOT less now.
3 snakes
4 tarantulas
4 parakeets
2 betta's (given to me by a friend moving to another state)
2 dogs
1 hamster (saved from being snake food (not mine)
24 chickens
and 3 horses, 4 if you count the project horse.

I had gold fish/koi, I have had finches, cockatiels, Quaker parrots, Indian ring neck parrots. Tropical fish, degu, guinea pigs, rabbits, and a plethora of animals in the past.
We can't have cats as DH is allergic.

10 horses of my own, 16 client horses
35+ chickens (3 of whom are definitely just eye candy)
20-30 feral barn cats that we feed
3 Jack Russel Terriers
6 guinea fowl

The only animals who don't get their routine vet care is the barn cats because we frequently can't get our hands on them. When we do, they get all their shots, deworming and spayed so they won't make more barn kikis. All the others get routine vaccinations, teeth, hooves/feet and any other care that they require. There's not a rib showing on the place and that includes me and DH. I have 1 person for barn help since I got injured last year, but otherwise cleaning, feeding, cuddling and caring for is up to me. Hubby helps when he's home but mainly is as big a softie as I am and has a very hard time when I give away or sell and animal.

I've seen animal hoarders and seen how they don't care for their animals and while true hoarding or collecting is not a funny topic, I think that those of us who choose to poke fun at ourselves for all the critters we attract are just having a healthy laugh at our own expense.

A friend of mine is what I call a borderline hoarder. She has over 20 horses and has advertised some for sale. She had a legitimate buyer for one of her horses but turned down the sale because the buyer wouldn't have kept the horse in a stall in the barn and blanketed 24/7. She refuses to accept that someone who has a different idea of the perfect circumstanses for a horse could possibly provide a good home.

Back
Top Bottom