Anyone else have lots of different animals? I can't be the only one...

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
So this is mostly just for fun but kinda not too. I think my poor DH is starting to think I'm a little bit crazy for wanting all the animals I do. You can see by my signature that we already own quite a few different species. I could totally have more. I would love to have a ferret (if they were legal), wouldn't mind having a chinchilla again, would like to have a snake again, the dog would love to have a friend, I think you get the idea. He lovingly jokes that I'm a hoarder to which I reply, "No, I'm a collector, there's a difference."

When I think about all the critters we have I asked him once if he thought people think we have a lot. He said we have way more than what most people consider a lot.
hu.gif
Part of that I suppose comes from my considering our flock as one pet instead of individuals. What I think I'm looking for is how many people think the same way I do? Come on, enable me!
lol.png
How many do you/would you have? Or am I really a little...
smack.gif

Last edited:
your first mistake was counting...if you never count then you can't ever have too many...

My wife does not see things as i do and accuses me of hoarding..I stick out my tongue and say i know you are what am I...she roles her eyes and leaves..I consider this a win...it also works if you get small animals..bantams, dwarf rabbits......

On the kinda not side.... how do your kids feel about them? Are they creating a financial strain on the family?

I realize this thread is not about actually asking that question, in fact rather the reverse as far as I can tell
tongue.png

...but, that said, it sure sounds like there are a nontrivial number of BYCers with too many animals if you ask me. To me, the limit is what you can care for in terms of finances and facilities/care.

By finances, I mean no more animals than you can gracefully support without excessively depriving other family members of their own hobbies or needs, AND with a good "emergency" fund such that even if several animals come up with serious-but-very-fixable problems at once you could still take care of them)

By facilities/care, I mean no more animals than you can provide REALLY GOOD (not just the-spca-wouldn't-actually-take-them-away-from-you) conditions for. Both in terms of physical facilities (amount of space, safe fences/cages/etc, clean bedding or dry healthful footing, adequate good food, etc) and in terms of the animal's mental needs (scope to easily engage in its important natural behaviors and remain fairly unstressed by its living conditions) and in terms of your ability to do the daily and weekly chores of upkeep (if keeping feeders or waterers filled all day every day becomes difficult, or if sanitation starts to slip b/c there are too many animals, then that is "too many")

The term "collector" worries me when applied to sentient creatures, as opposed to fine china or stamps. I know some "collectors" provide good spacious stimulating-but-comfortable conditions for their animals. And hopefully that is you too
smile.png
More often though I think the animals start to get just warehoused and a blind eye turned to their needs and to whether they are really well ENOUGH off.

So, I dunno. There are a lot better things to collect.

JMHO,

Pat

You dont have very many. We have 4 dogs 25 chickens 4 ducks 10 rats 2 hampsters 2 cocktiels 1 boa constrictor 1 turtle 31 eggs in the incubator and 5 more to set tomorrow. We also have 5 children 4 grandchildren but only 1 DD left at home.

Elizabeth - we already have more land than most people in San Diego without heading away from the city. But I hear what you're saying! We only bought our house a year and a half ago so we're not looking for anything else for a looooong time.

I agree with you Teach, I should never have counted....

ddawn - the kids love having animals and they do their part taking care of the ones that are "theirs". As far as financial strain, sure we'd have more money in the budget if we didn't have them but Dh loves having fresh eggs and I love taking care of the small furry ones. There is something immensely fulfilling when I am tending to them. Besides, animals are my passion and I think if I didn't have them I might get lost in the stay at home mom role and lose myself a little bit. KWIM?

just buy more land LOL we are getting to the point where the only new animals we will be able to get are chickens LOL

100 chickens
20 mini horses
7 pygmy/nigi goats
1 boer/nubian cross

6 dogs ( rott mix, doberman, lab and 3 shelties)
2 ferrets
10 barn cats
a hairless rat

we are nearly full... 200 chickens is my limit LOL

Interesting question. I am a single person....therefore doing all the work myself. No help.

I have 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 ducks and abotu 50-60 chickens. I used to have significantly more chickens but was overwhelmed and have sold off a SIGNIFICANT number to downsize. Do I have a lot of animals? yes. Am I able to care for the amount of animals I currently have? Yes.

I may be a little nuts, but as long as the animals are well care for, its fine. I did see an animal hoarders episode recently where the girl had only 2 small dogs and 7 cats (plus a new kitten). She was a definite hoarder as she did not care for them properly. Her house was disgusting. I was disgusted by it as seriously....2 tiny dogs and 8 cats? I could care for those in my sleep.

Everyone has a different definition of what is "too many". In your case, you have to keep the peace with hubby and kids. So only you can decide what is too many, assuming they are all cared for.

I agree with Pat that there are definitely some people on BYC that have too many animals. I read stories and/or see pix and cringe.......my animals are like a hobby for me, but I take darn good care of them.

Pat, I completely agree with you. All my animals are well cared for and for the most part take up little space and time with their upkeep. All of them get attention daily aside from feeding and cleaning. As for my "collector" comment, it was a little more tongue in cheek than actual fact. Just good natured teasing on DH's part which prompted teasing in return.

We are able to financially care for them as well as provide them with enough space/company, with the exception of the dog none of our animals are without a companion of the same species. I enjoy the company of animals as well as the variety God has provided us with. I also believe my children are gaining valuable experience being exposed to the different kinds of animals we own which discourages being afraid of "x" type of animal. Some of my children's friends have been scared of one type or another and I can't help but wonder if they were able to spend time with that type if they wouldn't be. One friend was so afraid of cats (back when we only had 2 cats and the dog ages ago) that she would scream if she even saw it. We had to lock them up so they wouldn't walk by and freak her out. I realize that is an extreme case but I think the point is still valid.

Thanks Sheila - I knew there had to be someone on her that had more than me!

Back
Top Bottom