Anyone else have lots of different animals? I can't be the only one...

Goats, Chickens, Cats, Dogs, Parakeets, Fish, and a Yak. A lot less than it used to be, honestly. We used to also have geese, ducks, horses, rats, snakes, etc.

Quote:
I agree, sometimes it's the personal input that is needed. Yeah, you can read and google to your heart's content but when your beloved chicken is sitting in your lap or your dog has a chronic yeast infection that the vet's prescriptions just aren't getting rid of, what's the problem with asking for advice?

Also, the complaining about a sick whatever and can't take to a vet is difficult for me too. One thing I've come to realize about that however is sometimes it's a child asking for help because let's face it, screen names don't give a lot of info. When that is the case, I would much rather that child ask for help with how to approach the situation than do nothing.

Being a "rancher" per say and raising farm animals for eons, plus worked for animal control and a vet tech for many years. I have a different view. We have lot's of kinds of animals, some species more than others.

I am a firm believer that you only get what you can care for and house properly. Now with that being said, I don't agree with a lot of people, that chickens need to have palaces, dogs need to have steak everynight and I am sure not taking a chicken I can't care for to the vet. Might upset some folks, but there needs to be a reality. I am tired of seeing animals treated better then a lot of peoples kids, I am tired of all the animal rights group (There is a need for them don't get me wrong here) like Peta raising hundreds of thousands of dollars to save every living thing that would probably be better off being humanely euthanized, when we have thousands of starving kids, a horrible foster care system and schools that can't afford books. (This is a pet peeve of mine).

I have seen true cruelty to animals, sick things people can't even fathom, yet these are done to kids as well, we have more laws protecting the animals rights then the humans. How about a law that tells people how much space a kid needs, what their nutritional requirements are, etc.

I believe that there should be a better balance. I understand people who have a few pets and have the money to spend on their animals, but instead of buying their dog a diamond studded collar, how about donating to a kids charity or helping schools buy books. The kids our are future and we are teaching them that they are worse off then an animal. Hellllooooo.

Sorry, I know it is off topic, by the way, animal collectors are truley that and you have to have seen a person with this disorder to appreciate it. They are mentally unstable usually and have other problems. As for people who get a ton of animals, then scream for help because they can't give basic care? That is a WHOLE 'nother discussion.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

In the past (at one time) I had 80 breeding rabbits, 8 ferrets, 10 guinea pigs, 1 great dane, 1 doberman, 1 boa, 1 burmese python & 1 raccoon. If I'd had more space/land, I'd have had more animals. This was on one acre.

Currently, I have 35 ball pythons, 5 boas, 1 sulcata tortoise, 15 chickens, 8 goats, 1 zebu, 1 mini terrier mix, 1 mini aussie & 1 cat.
I will soon be getting mice & rats (again) to breed my own food for the snakes. I am also considering getting back into breeding rabbits for food, as well. This is on 2 acres.
I currently have more land now than I did before and am looking forward to 'upgrading' at least once more in my lifetime. 5 acres would be good, 10 acres would be better, but 25 acres would be awesome!

Just for the record, btw, I have 1 dog (hope to get another this spring), 4 housecats, 3 horses, 5 sheep, 24 chickens of four different breeds and 6 miscellaneous turkeys, and am "between" fishtanks after the kids' accident with the last one... so, it is not like I don't have *any* animals LOL

Pat, perpetually considering ducks or muscovies but not gonna do it this year

2 dogs, 1 cat, 3 sugar gliders, 7 budgies, 4 horses, 3 guinea fowl, 25 rabbits, and we're picking up a lineolated parakeet on sunday. We want nigerian dwarf goats, sun conure, quail again, hedgehogs, chickens again, and more dogs but we have to wait until we have our own land instead of renting.

Back
Top Bottom