Anyone else have problems with there Leghorns hens combs???

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
I LOVE my Leghorns... But I've noticed some of my hen's combs won't stand and lay over in there face. Rubbing their eyes. Some will even walk sideways... Anyone seen this???

yes. I thought it was normal.

Thankfully in Ky. You don't have to deal with frostbite.

You really like those flighty things? Sure I love the egg a day from them, but they get angry when I reach under them to get the eggs
lol.png

They are not broody.. You're not supposed to grab the egg out from under them!!!

They might take a hour or 2 to lay. But last winter I got an egg everyday from my sweet leghorn girls! No matter the temp!!

Mine too. An egg a day, but don't go near them or they freak. And the combs are huge, need to put on Bag Balm every night before bed
No more after this group, way too flighty for me

One of mine's is floppier than the other 2, I think she's the lowest on the pecking order. She seems to be missing a few feathers on the tip top of her head right behind where her comb flops. I assume it flops due to the pecking
hu.gif
They appear healthy and lay eggs every day, so I'm not worried about it.

They're not awful or anything, they do come running to me for treats, but they don't really trust me. I don't hate them, but I won't be buying any more either.

I have 3 white leghorn's very friendly like to be picked up,and if there laying on the egg's I just reach under them no problem, the only thing they alway's yell at me in the coop or outside very vocal but other then that great layer's and I love them..

Can't you just dub their combs like a game roosters or something? I mean, if they're not for show and they're getting irritated . . . .

Back
Top Bottom