Anyone else have this happen to their cat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheTwoRoos, Jul 1, 2016.

  1. TheTwoRoos

    TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,419
    203
    171
    Sep 25, 2015
    We had a cat named Dewey.

    he isn't the nicest cat.

    One night we were woken up to see something terrifying.Our cat Dewey on the ground,can't walk,eyes going back and fourth (Like his eyes were following something.)he would turn his head all around,he was meowing,he couldn't walk,he had diarrhea.,it was all bad.

    I should mention before all of this happened,he was becoming a surprisingly sweet cat,and he is pretty mean.

    Now,we had put some flea spray on our dogs,just meant for dogs.Well,after the dogs got "Pretty" dry,we let them in the house. This too was before all of this trauma.So once this occurred,we checked and look at the bottle realizing it said "DO NOT USE ON CATS" which we didn't.

    It has to types of chemicals,one natural one that won't harm cats,then one called Patherin (I think) that poisons them.I found this site that showed signs of this "chemical" poisoning,and it says walking drunk,gastrointestinal problems (He had diarrhea),and seizures which we were not sure what all the screaming meowing,eyes,and neurological crap was,it defiantly effected the cats brain.

    Anyone ever had this happen?
    Any ideas?

    It also said death,he may be in the woods dead.

    Please help.
     
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. CluckerCottage

    CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

    Yes, I've seen this personally.
    One of my cats apparently could not handle the Hartz Ultra Guard cat flea & tick treatment that I put on them.
    Exactly as you are describing. Pinky, my youngest FREAKED out and it was just horrible. Her nose and tongue turned red and she was hyperventilating. Running around, drooling, hollering and rolling on the carpet.
    The other 2 cats were just fine.
    Me and my daughter stuck her in the tub and washed the treatment off of her.
    After a couple of hours she was fine.
    I will never use that treatment again!
    I looked it up online. I was lucky, as Pinky survived. Many other people's cats passed away.

    I hope your cat turns out to be ok.
    Go look for him if you can.
     
  3. Pyxis

    Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

    11,562
    5,170
    501
    Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yes, the chemical is called permethrin, and it's extremely toxic to cats. I hope yours is okay.

    This is why I get a little twitchy when people start recommending that others should spray down their barns, coops, and birds with permethrin when they suspect a mite or lice infestation. Whenever I see that I always make sure to post and say that it's a very bad idea to do so if you have cats.
     
  4. TheTwoRoos

    TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,419
    203
    171
    Sep 25, 2015
    Nevermind we found out what it is a bad ear infection that the vet said wouldn't be fixable and would take 8 months to fix....
     
  5. Peaches Lee

    Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,736
    71
    194
    Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like the Vet thinks it's Vestibular? Sometimes people will take a large dog dose of Advantix and apply it to their whole household of pets including the cat thinking it is okay, but it is most definitely NOT okay. In those situations it's best to bathe the cat in Dawn dish soap and/or get it to the Vet ASAP so they can bathe and treat. Hope your cat gets better, good luck.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by