ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Okay, so I asked my hubby about him building me a couple of bantam coops this summer along with a separate area for my ducks--with two coops (little ones) for my Sultan & the D'Uccles I've been wanting. Here is his response:

Yes, to the duck pen—if you pay for it and help build it. No, to the bantam pen. They might cute…but so am I…and we don’t need more worthless things around our place. Since we don’t eat our chickens/ducks…the only useful thing they do is produce eggs. We are not in the business of having more fowl that just eat and look cute minus producing EGGS THAT WE CAN EAT! If you want two varieties of chickens, that’s fine. But, no matter what Antarctican varieties you decided to have…we can’t have any more than 6-8 birds per side of the coop. Sorry, you asked…and we are a team—I am the realistic part of our team... and I did make some concessions.

Here’s your quota:

Less than 15 chickens

Less than 5 ducks or non chickens

[​IMG] Now how to respond????

2. Rare Feathers Farm

I guess now is not the time to tell him that I've got 16 Cochins in the 'bator, 3 light brahmas & 5 goose eggs? Not to mention the 15+ my muscovy hen is sitting on right now.

[​IMG]

3. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Forum rules forbid me from saying what I'd say to him....so I'll just leave it to your imagination.

And...sounds more like a dictatorship to me rather than a team!

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    You can sell the chicken/duck eggs for eating and hatching that would bring in a little money. ]

Brown noising works really well [​IMG] [​IMG]

My hubby is very patient with me I do have to admit that!

Goodluck in what ever happens! [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What you do is max out your quota... then bring in a few more here and there and so you HAVE to expand. I had a quota a few years ago of something insane like 14... I have like 40 now.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

@migocontodos~ :

Forum rules forbid me from saying what I'd say to him....so I'll just leave it to your imagination.

And...sounds more like a dictatorship to me rather than a team!

Hmmm...I wonder if I can super-impose a photo of my husband with Sadam? LOL [​IMG]

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Yeah--last year I made almost $250 with selling hatching eggs & about $50 on eating eggs....so it's possible. I tried that, too--hence the telling me no to the bantams! He was saying that just are cute & don't lay (which is probably true?) [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Well, I was thinking of starting out at like 12 & then slowly adding to it. I'm the one who feeds/waters/collects eggs (he's not much of a poultry person, can you tell?) Anyway, he might not notice a few extra.....it took him almost 5 days to notice another horse in our pasture! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I sympathize. I know I'm going to get that little 'talk' soon too.

10. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    What breed of bantam are you looking to get?
    I have silkies & an OEGB, they lay almost every day. The eggs are small but tasty. I usually hard boil them & eat for snacks....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by