Anyone else hunt mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SamG347, May 10, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well today I was walking down the morning from turkey hunting without any turkey to bring home and was looking on the ground close to my path out of the woods. What did I see but LOTS of Morels!!! I started picking and me and my buddy got about half a baseball cap full from probably a 20ft by 8ft spot.
    Will be deffinetly checking back there after a good rain and also some other little spots up there.
    Anyone hunt mushrooms?

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    A pic is worth a thousand words.
    [​IMG]

3. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I am totally jealous!! I love morels. My friend and her honey were going mushroom hunting today after work. I looked earlier in the week and didn't find any! One lady at work claims she has found 300 so far... Some folks have all the luck!!!

4. nutmeggie

nutmeggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    The guy Im seeing just went looking for them, I was talking to him on the phone while he was looking. He couldn't find any. He plans to keep looking. He said hes found them behind his house before. I had no idea what they even looked like until I saw the picture above. Neat looking mushrooms. I'm not a big fan of mushrooms but he said they taste good so I'll give them a try. Hes gotten me to eat worse things. (liver being one of them.) Good hunting!! [​IMG]

5. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    We have many mushrooms here, of all types. Edible, showy, and just plain odd. Around Christmas, mushroom buyers come to town, and a lot of people make Christmas money selling them.

This is a fading mushroom, but when I saw this thread, I thought I'd share. Why I'm taking a photo of a mushroom at 3 in the morning is another thing altogether! [​IMG] [​IMG]

That said, no, I never eat them, I just take photos of them. You'd not know it from this snap, but I make notecards for sale of our schrooms. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I don't hunt mushrooms, but I'd love to. I keep threatening to buy a book so I can identify them. Very cool!

7. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Sam that is super, how did you learn about different mushrooms?

ML

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

My favorite story about mushrooms is one about my Grandmother. Dad tells me that one time he went to mow her lawn. He went inside and found a note on the table that said "I ate some mushrooms last night I found down by the creek. If I'm dead now, you'll know why."

she was fine [​IMG]

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
  10. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    A friend of mine found this "Mother of All Mushrooms" a couple of years ago

[​IMG]

We've found a few this year but just too cold so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by