anyone else order from Meyer? Pullets shipped Monday *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tazzy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I'm worried about our pullets we ordered from Meyer. We live five hours away from the hatchey and yet they told us our pullets shipped on Monday, but here it is Wednesday and they still haven't arrived. I am worried about the babies being in transit for three full days, as they will have been by the time they are (hopefully) delivered tomorrow.

Also, do they ship the babies the moment they hatch? Or are they already up to a day old? Which would make them four days old by the time they arrive.

I am worried...has anyone else ordered from Meyer? Did your critters arrive safely? We don't have a tracking number or any way to check on their journey to Kentucky.

We placed a separate order with Cackle, which is in Missouri, so about the same distance, and those shipped on Monday and arrived today, healthy and sound.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I think they are generally shipped the same day they hatch. I would start to worry by this point too, especially being just 5 hours away.

How many did you order?

3. hyzenthlay

hyzenthlay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    I just picked mine up there on Monday, so no experience with shipping, but I was told that the chicks hatch on Monday mornings, or at any rate sometime before 2:00 pm, and I think they are shipped out the same day. I would be worried now, too. Have you called Meyer, and any of the post offices that might be involved?

Meyer is open until 6:00, there's still time to call today!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  4. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I called, but they closed at 5 p.m. ET today. They only stay open until 6 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays.

We ordered 25 pullets, so a boxful to keep each other warm.

I checked with our post office this morning and no order from Meyer. The post office called us at 7 a.m. to tell us our Cackle order was in, and when we picked those up and explained that we were expecting another box from Meyer, they said that they were getting a second shipment at 9 a.m. But no go with that one, either. I called the post office to double check.

My husband spoke to the people at Meyer on Monday. It was early afternoon and they said they were packing our chicks right then and they were going out that day. We made a note of it because they had originally said that they'd ship on Sunday (which I didn't understand, not sure how they ship on Sundays.)

I hope they're okay. I'm so worried that I will open that box once they do arrive and break down into tears at what I find.

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Keep your fingers crossed. I got mine today from cackle and they were all alive and happy.

[​IMG]

6. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    I ordered from Meyer and they shipped on a Monday and my post office called Tuesday at 530 pm and my wife sped to the post the office and picked them up. We skipped our baby class at the hospital to care for the chicks. I would wonder why you haven't received them yet as well.

Be ready for them when they do get there. They are a lot of work!

Good Luck!

7. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I also ordered from Meyer and mine were shipped on Monday and arrived on a Thursday. However, they coming from their hatchery to Idaho.

I hope your chicks arrive safe and sound.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Sounds liks a postal screw up. I ordered from Meyer they shipped on Monday and they were in Oregon on Tuesday afternoon. I ordered 21.

9. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    ah, geez. that's awfully worrisome that everyone else got theirs so fast. I'd think, oh, they just didn't ship ours yet, but I know they did because they called on Monday to say that they were short on EE's and what did we want to substitute instead.

we're getting 20 buff orpington pullets and 5 black jersey giant pullets. I hope so much that everyone arrives safely.

nothing to do now but wait until tomorrow morning.

10. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    They went for a journey not of your planning. Not the first time it has happened. Probably went to the wrong PO in another state.

[​IMG] Wishing you the best of luck on getting them home safe and sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by