Anyone Else Raise Turkeys in Arizona

I must have ran out of room or something.

57076_2010_turkeys_081_2.jpg

57076_2010_turkeys_162_3.jpg

57076_2010_turkeys_066_2.jpg

57076_2010_turkeys_084_2.jpg

Last edited:
We're in Wittmann! We had white broad brested, and bronze broad breasted's. We just processed all but one today. Our largest one was a 5 month old bbb, & he weighed in at 39#! We let em free range, & feed fruits & veges, along with oatmeal. We got ours at the stock shop & they were wonderful birds!

Quote:
that is a good weight, about how much feed did you use to get them to 39 pounds

Well for three turkeys we fed one two pound coffee can of feed every evening. They would get three huge spoonfuls of veges 4 days a week too. (We split 2 heads of lettuce, 2 cucumbers, 3 celery stalks, & two cans of peaches or pears between 20 chickens, 10 ducks, & the 4 turkeys daily.) Every Monday I would give three huge spoonfuls of cooked oatmeal also. We used regular flock raiser too not the expensive stuff. At first we had bought a bag of the meaty bird feed, but at 25 bucks & turns out chickens GO NUTTS for it, we couldn't afford that. lol

Turk two was a wbb male at 4 months weighed in at 20 pounds, & the female wbb was also 4 months & weighed in at 12 pounds. She was much smaller than the boys.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did you also ask Kevin if it's possible for your turkeys to have both Chocolate and Auburn genes? Since you got the turkeys from somebody else, you really can't be sure of parentage (especially if the flock was running together) and you really don't know what your birds will produce. Just my opinion...

none have auburn genes there was a mix up
they are dark chocolate and milk chocolate turkeys

So if they are chocolate turkeys, hopefully they will lose the barring on the wings... 'Any white barring or light colored spots in the wings or bronze patterns and or white tipping in the feathers is a fault in this variety.'

Quote:
i have oregon brown turkeys
they carry genes of oregon gray
which makes a brown version of the oregon gray
their new name as stated by kevin is going to be
oregon browns, their in only three people in the
united states that has oregon browns, which is me
also the person who sold them to me, and kevin porter
developed this new turkey breed this year,

Quote:
i have oregon brown turkeys
they carry genes of oregon gray
which makes a brown version of the oregon gray
their new name as stated by kevin is going to be
oregon browns, their in only three people in the
united states that has oregon browns, which is me
also the person who sold them to me, and kevin porter
developed this new turkey breed this year,

Is this your final answer? I have seen Kevins pictures of his Oregon browns from the genetics board. I don't see that yours have the coloring of the Oregon brown. Take a picture of the tail like this Oregon gray that I recreated, so we can see it. Its not that hard to make a Oregon gray in any color. All Palms have the genetics for it. I have both the dark and light Oregon Grays. What I see in your pictures is a hetrozygous chocolate turkey instead of a homozygous. It is spit bronze so you see the bronze showing through.

57076_disneyland_and_turkeys_120.jpg

57076_2010_turkeys_081_2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom