Anyone else take chickens to a nursing facility??

fishnet1971
was your hen a ex-battery hen?
I thought cause her beck looks cliped?

I am really lokking for ex battery hens in USA.
fl.gif

Hi Wildflower,
I have the City Chicks book and have read it cover to cover. I forgot the author had that section on her therapy chickens, but I must have had it in the back of my mind .. . somewhere in there. LOL
Lots of good suggestions and comments. Thanks to everyone.

I didn't even think of chicken feather allergies, although when I was a child, I was told I had that allergy (along with dogs, cats, horses, etc.etc.). Obviously, though I don't have feather allergies, or I'd be sneezing my head off with all the snuggles I do with my sweet chicks.
big_smile.png

I have a Therapy Chicken ( Miss Red a Rhode Island Red) to two nursing homes. Would be happy to share how I trained her if you are interested. I also have a Silver Duck Wing Rooster who is 4 months old. He love attention and will remain quiet and calm.Both get bathed before their visit and blown dry. YUP!

They ride in the car. Never try to get away. Miss Red cuddles and both will wear a chicken diaper (found in Web images) with no getting upset. It is a simple to make you just have to measure from the neck to vent. And no messes. I use a a plastic lining and paper towels floded to be comfortable.

She will follow me anywhere. And comes running on command. She rides on a golf cart and wears a leach. It can be done. You need calmness and patience and small segments of taking the chicken out and spending time with it and talking to it alot. Using the same tone in your voice seems to make them feel relaxed. I use an upbeat voice always and praise. People say they don't understand, I am here to say they do. They do bond with you.

There will be an article in BACKYARD Poultry coming out in the Feb/Mar issue 2013 about Miss Red. You may email me with [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom