Anyone else use a RADIO in their Coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sledrock, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Sledrock

Sledrock Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Starting with when my chicks are first born, I put a small, clock radio near them and leave it on 24x7. I later move it to the hen house.

The radio (and "country" music) seems to have a calming affect on the birds. And I don't know for sure, but I think it may help keep predators away, especially when they break for a commercial and have people talking...

One day I expect to go in the hen house and see the chickens all dancing and whistling "On The Road Again." [​IMG]

P.S. An old hog farmer told me about the radio thing. He said he always kept one on around his hogs. He said they weren't near as wild and seemed a lot more calm - seems to work with my chickens, too...

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have talk radio 24/7 - mostly political, some sports. My chickens are big Yankees fans, being frmo NY and all...............
    Not sure about the predators anymore, since a fox got four of my chickens yesterday...................

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I put the radio on for the hatchery chicks.
    Radios tuned to a talk show seem to work for keeping the Raccoons away. No foxes here but they keep the cougars away too.

4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I never thought about giving my birds a radio. However, when I was young & showed livestock I always keep a radio on with the steers or sheep that were going to be showed (at the request of my parents). They seemed to get use to the noise & didn't get spooked at the shows.

5. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    If I had a radio in the coop with my chickens I wouldnt have to go inside to watch the Reds! It might work out great for me and my wife probably wont mind either. Thanks for the idea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by