Anyone else use a RADIO in their Coops?

Sledrock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Starting with when my chicks are first born, I put a small, clock radio near them and leave it on 24x7. I later move it to the hen house.

The radio (and "country" music) seems to have a calming affect on the birds. And I don't know for sure, but I think it may help keep predators away, especially when they break for a commercial and have people talking...

One day I expect to go in the hen house and see the chickens all dancing and whistling "On The Road Again."
wee.gif

P.S. An old hog farmer told me about the radio thing. He said he always kept one on around his hogs. He said they weren't near as wild and seemed a lot more calm - seems to work with my chickens, too...

I have talk radio 24/7 - mostly political, some sports. My chickens are big Yankees fans, being frmo NY and all...............
Not sure about the predators anymore, since a fox got four of my chickens yesterday...................

I put the radio on for the hatchery chicks.
Radios tuned to a talk show seem to work for keeping the Raccoons away. No foxes here but they keep the cougars away too.

I never thought about giving my birds a radio. However, when I was young & showed livestock I always keep a radio on with the steers or sheep that were going to be showed (at the request of my parents). They seemed to get use to the noise & didn't get spooked at the shows.

If I had a radio in the coop with my chickens I wouldnt have to go inside to watch the Reds! It might work out great for me and my wife probably wont mind either. Thanks for the idea.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom