Anyone else used "my pet chicken" to get their chicks from?

I have eight almost 12 week olds from MPC and love em! I *think* they are all pullets, although one RIR could end up a roo - it's a tossup at the moment.
smile.png
Just got another six chicks from MPC and they are all happy fat chicks so far! Plus they come the day after hatch for me, so that's a plus.

UPDATED Oct. 17, 2010: the Polish "roo" layed and egg. MPC had already credited me $11.75 for the 3 roosters, so I am going mail them a check for $3.93. I did not ask for replacement chicks because I already got two more from the local feed store. They did not question that I thought I had recieved 3 roos, and promply refunded for all 3. However, the statistics are now 2 of 6 sexed pullets were roos and that is still pretty high. It broke my heart to give away my Speckled Sussex after it strated to crow...it was my favorite bird and I spent so much time taming them.

I would still recommend them for their customer service, good shipping and good quality birds.
thumbsup.gif

OLD PART OF POST:
I got 6 chickens from MPC in April. They shipped on a Monday, and I got them on Tues in CA! They were healthy and all turned out to be nice birds.

Big complaint 3 of the 6 sexed pullets are roosters.

I found homes for the SS roo and the EE roo. I am waiting to hear the Polish crow (UDATED, "he" LAYED AN EGG"), but his feather pattern, and the BYC forum all say roo.

I am going to ask for a refund, I'll post here how their customer service responds.

It broke my heart to give up the SS and the EE that I had hand raised, and they were my most friendly chicks. I can have roosters..but not 3 with 3 hens!

Last edited:
I am curious to know what they say about the refund! I think the guarantee says you get both a refund for those AND you get replacement chicks on your next order!

So far, I am positive my 4 leghorns are hens - not even a slight pink in the comb and they are 11.5 weeks. The RIR's are a bit pink, one a bit more than the others, so I'll wait for the crow/egg/saddle feathers.
smile.png

I got 15 chicks from MPC back in May. 1 chick of each breed I wanted to I have 15 different breeds now. Don't know where else you can do that. They shipped on a Monday and I received them Tue. all arrived healthy but one died two days later. not sure why because it showed no signes of being sick or unhealthy. might have just been stress. MPC offices are in Connecticut but the chicks ship out of OH. All mine are pullets except for maybe one. My RIR has a very red comb at 9 weeks but it still may be a pullet. I'd use them again. People say their shipping is high but I thought it was reasonable for shipping live chicks and letting you order the breed and quantity you want. I suppose if you only order 3 chicks the shipping seems high in comaprison to the number of chicks you are getting but I'd rather pay more in shipping and the the number and types of chicks I want than pay less in shipping and end up buying chickens you don't realy nead or want.

Yes, I used My Pet Chicken for my last order of chicks, and I couldn't be more happy with the chicks I received.

I live in Alaska and my chicks were shipped on Monday and arrived early afternoon on Tuesday. Normally, express mail nearly always takes 2 days to get to Alaska.

I was VERY impressed with the people I spoke with on the phone from MPC. They were friendly and helpful -- they completely put me at ease, and I felt very comfortable asking all sorts of questions. They spent lots of time with me on the phone and gave me great advice.

I ordered 8 chicks: 5 Welsummers, 1 New Hampshire Red, 2 Australorps. All 8 chicks arrived happy, peeping and healthy. All are thriving and feathering out nicely nearly 3 weeks later.

I would not hesitate to order from them again. They will be my first choice for any future chick orders.

A picture showing the shipping container that they came in.

63087_img_3955.jpg

Another shot of the young peeps in their new home. Both pics taken when chicks arrived at one day old.

63087_img_3932.jpg

Last edited:
I received my 9 girls about 6 weeks ago. I lost the Buff Silkie the next day. I was pretty devastated and they were very nice on the phone, but had no answers for me. I received a check for $10 in the mail this week to replace the chick and the cost for sexing her. I really didn't care about having the money... I wanted my chick! But I would do it again with My Pet Chicken. I only spoke to one person from the time I ordered back in February that wasn't the most helpful. Maybe she was having a bad day!
big_smile.png

My girls all seem super healthy and at this point, I think I have all girls. Time will tell.

A friend & I got chicks from MPC last May & then I got more last Aug. . she lost one. she got a silkie Roo, whom I have now. My '09 order I got 2 Roos. Other than gettn the boys when I wanted all hens, was no biggy. They were super to deal with. Joyce is wonderful & so helpful to talk with. I have to order at least 7 because of where I live. right now they do not a a couple breeds I am looking for. I may have to pass them up, unless I find a breeder that will ship. MPC is wonderful

I ordered the 25 rainbow layers pullet special last fall. 26 chicks were sent, 2 of which turned out to be roosters. One of the little white leghorns had failure to thrive, she was always so tiny, even more so than some bantam OEG that I have. She didn't survive the winter
sad.png
Other than that one all birds were healthy.
smile.png

We ordered from MPC in April ... 4 EE, 2 Welsummers, and 2 NHs. All were healthy and active. All survived and all are pullets, as ordered. They are absolutely GORGEOUS birds.

We were so happy that we ordered again a few weeks later. This time 3 Australorps, 1 Partridge Cochin, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 2 White Crested Blue Polish, 2 Speckled Sussex, and 1 EE. All seemed healthy on arrival but one of the polish quickly faded and we lost her.
sad.png
MPC's customer service was great, sympathetic and helpful. The remaining birds are growing to be really stunning too.

By June it was becoming apparent that we were addicted. Another order was placed. When I called it in, we were on the fence about two breeds. Fortunately, the woman who answered the phone had both and answered questions I had about differences between the two ... with first-hand knowledge. After speaking with her, I easily made a decision and haven't had any regrets ... I love our little chantecler girls!

Losses are VERY sad. However, there has to be tremendous stress in shipping AND if you've studied genetics at all, you know that some individuals just don't thrive, even under the best of circumstances. In my opinion, MCP's track record with us has been spectacular.

My one complaint about MPC has nothing to do with the quality of their birds. Their website still shows a Partridge Chantecler on the page for Buff Chanteclers. They now have a disclaimer at the beginning of their description of the breed, but the photo of the other color variety is still up. As novices, we kept overlooking this breed in our first orders because we already had so many brown birds!

Back
Top Bottom