Anyone else used "my pet chicken" to get their chicks from?

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
I checked out other hatcheries, and was going to buy from one of the two most common names that kept coming up, and then my friend told me about "my pet chicken".

I checked it out and they had more of the kinds of birds I was wanting and you can actually order as few as 3 chicks for shipping. Now to be honest, they do suggest that if you do not get your mail in a major city, it is best to order more. If you are within 30 miles of a major city, get a min of 6, and any further out than that, go with about 8 or more.

But I was still very happy to have that minimum of an order. Plus, you can select what ever breeds you want to make up that minimum order of 8 chicks. There was one
hatchery that have what they call their "city" amount of either an order or 5 (all same breed) or 10 (all of same breed or 5 of one and 5 of another, but must order 5 chicks at a time). With my pet chicken, I could make my entire order of 1 type of breed per selection. That is how I ended up with a dozen chicks and four breeds: three cuckoo marans, two red star, three partridge rock, and four welsummer. (they were out of black copper marans for 2010 or I would have had some of them too)

Now my pet chicken is located in Connecticut, but it only took one day for them to arrive after shipping. Shipped Monday arrived about noon Tuesday.

They were all so very healthy, lively, eating right off, drinking right off and great.

Has anyone else gotten chicks from there and did you have good experience with your chicks?

What did you think of their prices? One place had free shipping, but when I com paired the cost of the chicks with shipping fees to the place with free shipping, it worked out to only a couple pennies difference. I did have to pay extra for the marek's vaccine, it was $1.00 per chick. Is that a normal price?

Thanks for any input of prices, health, your experience, etc.

My second batch came from My Pet Chicken. I was very happy with what I received as I bought the variety pack so I could try several different breeds. They are excellent quality. I also order from Welp and Ideal. Depends on what I am looking for at the time and who has what pricing to be honest.

Glad to hear of your positive experience with My Pet Chicken. I too wanted variety and didn't want a large order. Our order is due to ship the beginning of August. Hope I'm as lucky as you were! I'll keep you posted . . .

I ordered from MPC the beginning of June & July for their 25 assorted pullet special. I had read from several posts on BYC that they are not a hatchery. So I called them & asked where they ship their chicks from & I was told from a hatchery either out of Ohio or Iowa (I can't remember). I've read it's from Meyers Hatchery.

Anyways, I have to say my orders both shipped on a Tuesday and I received the first shipment on Friday morning with 29 chicks (I lost 2 after they had arrived) and the 2nd order I received on Thursday morning with 26 chicks. The 2nd batch I lost one on arrival and a second one a few days later.

I have to say I would do it again! The assortment was nice and chicks seem to be fine and the price was good too. I have enough chickens right now (almost 100) so I will wait until next year to see about ordering more.

Good luck! If you are interested, I could forward pictures of chicks I've received. Just let me know.

I got my chicks from MPC last week. I did the minimum order of three (picked them up in Denver; they'll let you ship to a post office in a nearby city 'to you care of postmaster...') They are all healthy and peeping. I even took them to the vet for a checkup to make sure they were good (no deformities or whatever that I hadn't noticed) and everyone was perfect! Excellent customer service, healthy chicks, and reasonable prices. They even made sure each of my EE's was a different shade/color when they packed them. I will definantly be using them again in the future.
thumbsup.gif

Wow, glad so many people had good luck with them. This is my first time ordering and was worried about ordering from someplace so far away.

There is a hatchery here in Missouri and was going to order from them till my friend suggested MPC.

I wasn't able to pick them up from the post office nor take care of them the first week they arrived. As mentioned, was up in Illinois cause my brother was in hosp. in extreme critical condition and was not expected to live, so was there the first week the chicks arrived. But a very good friend picked them up at the post office and she took care of them for me the first week. She has chickens and has had them for quite some time, and gets new ones every year. She had all the 'new chick' supplies and also knew what to do on their arrival. Plus she works for a vet.

This is the first year she has not ordered any new chicks. But once she got mine for me and took care of them, she was so super impressed that now she has ordered some after all for this year. She said she can hardly wait for next year, to be able to order more. She has two other places she has always gotten her's from, but now is going to use mpc.

I am so glad to hear other people liked their chicks and had such positive experiences with them. The only way to know how good (or bad) some place is, is to find out from other people who have used it too.

Maureen&chickens :

Glad to hear of your positive experience with My Pet Chicken. I too wanted variety and didn't want a large order. Our order is due to ship the beginning of August. Hope I'm as lucky as you were! I'll keep you posted . . .

Would like to hear from you about your chicks and how they are. And if you are happy with them and mpc. Thanks for offering to keep me posted.
smile.png

I ordered my chicks from MPC. I ordered 8 chicks, and they all arrived alive and in good health. I didn't lose any. I did get one rooster though, even though I paid extra for sexing. Trying to figure out what to do with him now.
roll.png

Just love my chicks from MPC. I ordered 4 EEs and 4 faverolles. All very healthy and now at 12 weeks of age. I did ask for females and ended up with one male. That's ok they clearly stated sexing was only about 90% accurate at one day of age, so that is why I asked for all females thought I might end up with one rooster and that is acceptable to me. The EE are all different colors which is what I wanted too.

I ordered my first batch of chicks from MPC. All exceptionally healthy! Out of 11 chicks I didn't lose a single one and in fact, no illness at all. This batch is now 1 year old and free-ranging and still no losses or illness.

My only complaint is that one of the 4 EEs I purchase lays brown eggs... but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone who's looking for a laying flock or pets.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom