Anyone Else with Low Egg Production?

Pics
Out of 180 chickens can anyone guess how many eggs I have been getting for the past few weeks?
I just laugh at my feed bill this time of year, however I realize it’s winter after all!
answer: maybe 1-2 dozen a day from the girls

Last year my then 2-year-olds gave no eggs from late Sept to Christmas. Molt, change in light, predator scare.
This winter they are 3 years old and I added 4 more hens to the flock so molt, stress of new hens, hawk killing my beloved buff Orp. in front of the other girls, I don't expect an egg for a while. Any little stress can put them off laying, and we've had several major stressors.

I quit doing the "forced lay" with lights, etc. b/c they work hard the rest of the year so I guess they deserve a break. I just wish it wasn't so long...I was buying eggs when they were $4/dozen here in Pennsylvania and resenting having to spend that.

Out of 180 chickens can anyone guess how many eggs I have been getting for the past few weeks?
I just laugh at my feed bill this time of year, however I realize it’s winter after all!
answer: maybe 1-2 dozen a day from the girls
Yikes! I have 20 birds - I can't imagine!

Last year my then 2-year-olds gave no eggs from late Sept to Christmas. Molt, change in light, predator scare.
This winter they are 3 years old and I added 4 more hens to the flock so molt, stress of new hens, hawk killing my beloved buff Orp. in front of the other girls, I don't expect an egg for a while. Any little stress can put them off laying, and we've had several major stressors.

I quit doing the "forced lay" with lights, etc. b/c they work hard the rest of the year so I guess they deserve a break. I just wish it wasn't so long...I was buying eggs when they were $4/dozen here in Pennsylvania and resenting having to spend that.
I had a dog take out 4 of my hens last summer and it shook the rest of them up for a while. Lost a brood of eggs to that stress too. Fall molt was a rough one, plus 2 broods from summer are now 5 month olds and four month olds... The flock dynamic is upside down, and roosting time is a circus as all the youngsters try to find out where they fit in. Hopefully they'll resolve things soon.

Back
Top Bottom