Anyone Else with Low Egg Production?

Really, unfortunately, totally normal. Good to get new chicks early in spring, because if they haven’t started laying when the days become too short, they won’t start laying till the spring.
Well, darn. Looks like I'll be living with an unproductive hike out to the coop every morning for the next few months. thanks for the note though, at least I know I'm not an anomaly.

Well, darn. Looks like I'll be living with an unproductive hike out to the coop every morning for the next few months. thanks for the note though, at least I know I'm not an anomaly.
You‘ll get loads of eggs in the spring - something to look forward to! You can also try and put up some lights in your coop and run and put them on a timer to expand your „daylight“ hours a bit in the morning and at night. Not sure how many daylight hours you need - you should be able to look it up. Those little christmas tree lights would work and be easy to put up. Some people do this to keep up the egg production through the winter. I would probably do it if I were further up north.

Not yet. We have 20, 5 in molt, one brooding (yes in November) and have been getting 9-13 eggs a day, we have 4 brahmas so they don't lay as often as our Orpingtons or Australorps. We have an auto door on coop to auto light pen open to hoop run. Everyone is cozy and is loving the leaves we bring in for them. Feed free choice chick starter, with free choice grit and oyster/eggshells

I have 8 hens and haven't had a single egg since this past July. Thought if it was caused by fireworks and that surely they'd be over it by now! I've tried different foods and I give them scraps and green leafy stuff from the yard or my garden and bugs as well. I have no idea how to fix this. I hope someone else here knows what to do.

I have 8 hens and haven't had a single egg since this past July. Thought if it was caused by fireworks and that surely they'd be over it by now! I've tried different foods and I give them scraps and green leafy stuff from the yard or my garden and bugs as well. I have no idea how to fix this. I hope someone else here knows what to do.
You don't mention their ages. My oldest birds (7) only lay sporadically for a couple months each year, for example. So stopping in July is normal for them.

Switching feed frequently could theoretically contribute a bit to stress as well which can possibly throw them off lay.

Twenty hens here, three eggs a day. But at least I am getting SOME! Some are three yo or older, not expecting eggs from these girls. Will cull them when the chicks I'm expecting next week become old enough to move into the big coop, in about 8 weeks. These chicks should start laying in April, with luck. There was a year I got no eggs from late August to February, six months. It's just the nature of chickening. :confused: But even if they're not laying they are earning their keep as tick control.

It’s a good thing they’re cute, is all I can say! Most of my ladies are on vacay, as well. 2 eggs (maybe 3) out of a 14 mostly molting flock!
I figure they've earned it. They worked so hard during the spring and summer! At one point I was distributing 16 dozen eggs a week to the local Bread Shed - not all from my own chickens, but mostly! Rock stars!

From what I have seen hens laying is influenced by light. I once tried putting a full spectrum light (a grow light actually) in my coop on a timer during the winter. I gradually increased their daylight to about a 10 hour day. I did manage to increase my production, but of course I paid for it with electricity. It was an experiment and I didn't do it but one winter as honestly I felt my girls really deserved their winter vacation.

What is your location?

Back
Top Bottom