Anyone else's chickens just stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nikon70, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Yes - no eggs for a week or more

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Yes - no eggs for a few days

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. No - plenty of eggs each day

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. No - still getting some eggs

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Still waiting for my first egg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nikon70

nikon70 New Egg

Sep 16, 2013
    London, UK
    I've got 4 hybrids, 2 gold stars and 1 speckled which were all laying, and about 3 days ago they all just stopped laying...

does not look like they are moulting, no red mites, no ticks, plenty of clean water, plenty of layers pellets available...

It has got cold round my way (Hendon, North London) recently so I am thinking that is the reason, and the day light is a lot less these days another contributing factor.

Just interested if anyone else is experiencing a sudden lack of eggs....

Thanks

Tom

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Yes, the colder it gets and less daylight there is, the worse the egg production will be. If I were you I would get a couple of RIRs, they always lay in the winter.

HS Pye

3. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    mine have gone in strike or something for the past month. one was moulting, others so idea. but here we have had very up an down type of weather lately so after asking sounds like even farms aren't getting the usual amounts these days

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. ivetteh

ivetteh New Egg

Sep 16, 2013
    I am wonderign the same thing... they all just stopped laying at the beginning of the month and still NOT ONE SINGLE egg... Whatsgoing on?? are they on strike? they feathers are everywhere so are they all molting at the same time? how long will this last [​IMG][​IMG]

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

My understanding is that increasing their protein intake may help shorten the molt time. I've read anywhere from a month to even 2 1/2 or 3 months, depending on things like diet, breed, seasonal weather etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by