Anyone Elses Eggs Come Out This Clean?

Raptor Chicken

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
Dinwiddie, VA
My Coop
My Coop
When we used to buy eggs from local folks that had chickens they were always covered in what I can only assume was poop or dirt, or a combination.

We use straw for bedding and have always had our eggs come out like this. These have not been washed or cleaned in any manner, other than knocking the occasional stray piece of straw off.

Whats been your experience?

20230320_180454.jpg

When we used to buy eggs from local folks that had chickens they were always covered in what I can only assume was poop or dirt, or a combination.

We use straw for bedding and have always had our eggs come out like this. These have not been washed or cleaned in any manner, other than knocking the occasional stray piece of straw off.

View attachment 3438317
Mine are more often very clean than dirty. They lay in clean nesting boxes.

View attachment 3438317
Mine normally come out like this. Sometimes if i forget to clean the box after a while its a little dirty.

Yep, mine look just like that!
That is, until some youngster goes and sleeps in the nesting boxes, and I don't notice until after the eggs have been laid.

View attachment 3438317
I've made an observation at my place.

1. If you allow chickens to roost inside the nesting box, expect dirty eggs.

2. If you have extra large nesting boxes, expect dirty eggs. Chickens will scratch around in the box if they have room. They are more likely to defecate in the box if they have more room.

I have nesting boxes in 4 coops. The metal nesting boxes are much smaller. Chickens don't ever defecate in those. But the 18" x 16" nesting boxes in the main coop inevitably invite them to both roost there and play around. It always leads to dirtier boxes.

I've made an observation at my place.

1. If you allow chickens to roost inside the nesting box, expect dirty eggs.

2. If you have extra large nesting boxes, expect dirty eggs. Chickens will scratch around in the box if they have room. They are more likely to defecate in the box if they have more room.

I have nesting boxes in 4 coops. The metal nesting boxes are much smaller. Chickens don't ever defecate in those. But the 18" x 16" nesting boxes in the main coop inevitably invite them to both roost there and play around. It always leads to dirtier boxes.
This is spot on. My bigger boxes have dirty eggs. Plus I think the pile of chickens in them trying to lay leads to broken eggs and other issues.

View attachment 3438317
I have 4 coops, each with at least 2 nesting boxes. I gather my eggs from the outside. At each coop, I have an empty litter bucket with a litter scoop. I clean the boxes, if necessary, everytime I collect eggs. I check for eggs daily a minimum of 3 times a day. I use straw on top of fake astroturf to line the box. A few ladies sleep in the boxes but I scoop out one poop first thing before work. It's easy if you come up with a routine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom