Anyone elses hens gone on strike?

That seems to happen around here when it gets very hot in the summer months...like in the 90's. I love my fresh eggs & really dislike having to buy them...they just do not taste the same at all.

We're having consistant daily temps in the upper 90's and low 100's as well as high humidity. I'm happy to get any eggs at all. Out of 12 hens, I'm averaging 4-5 eggs a day at most. My Black Stars and Barred Rocks are the brave ones laying in this intolerable heat and humidity.

Hens on strike? Yep! I have 8 hens and I am getting 2-3 eggs a day. Let's put it this way, I am ready to wring out some necks. It has constantly been in the mid to upper 90's.

Mine are on strike too but it can't be the weather- it's usually cool and damp here in SE AK. The girls have only been putting out about 3 a day when it had been 7 day. Slackers I tell you.
th.gif

My 2 quit being broody 2 weeks ago, but still haven't layed for probably 1 1/2 months. My Americauna has finished moulting and still won't lay.
I still have a brooding one. How long does it take to kick back in after the feathers grow back????

I'm fairly new at raising BYChickens
smile.png

Add mine to the slackers. I blame it on the heat, me changing the feed to accommadate 4 new 14 week olds and a couple broodies. Went fom 17 a day to 7-10. I just got a great customer base too, and could sell all I could get. Last night I tried my secret weapon, Mexican night, a pound of brown rice and a quart of home canned pinto beans. We will see.

Heat has put my 5 RIR hens into wonky layin as well. Some days I get 4, others, none. Can't blame em. The heat index has been 100+ for several weeks now. Absolutely miserable for the poor girls. I'm just glad they're laying anything!!!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom