Anyone ever breed a splash Ameraucana to a Barred Rock?

AmCanyonStables

Songster
10 Years
May 8, 2009
American Canyon
So I looked at the color charts, and it looks like if you get a splash true Ameraucana roo and breed to a Barred Rock, you will get a blue barred chicken. Has anyone done this, and if so, do you have a photo, (preferably of a hen?)
Also, I wonder if the darker brown egg color will supress the blue, or are thier various chances for what egg color you would get when these hens start to lay?

Last edited:
Hi!
Not exactly, but these girls are bearded Cuckoo / blue Cuckoo (blue Ameraucana X Barred Rock) and lay large blue/green eggs.

335593797.jpg

335593796.jpg

325402006.jpg

6 eggs lower right are from the Cuckoo/blue Cuckoo girls:
17_626091_002.jpg

Good luck!
Lisa

Cool - looks like the egg color is consistant - how about production? Do they lay as often and of a size similar to the Barred Rocks, the Ameraucanas, or somewhere in between?
Since I am only going to get one rooster, I thought I would go with the spash to guarantee blue.

Hi!
it looks like if you get a splash true Ameraucana roo and breed to a Barred Rock (hen), you will get a blue barred chicken

I *think* doing it that way, you'd get solid blue females and blue barred males.
If you use a Barred Rock roo over solid (splash) hen, you *should* all blue barred chicks.

I hatched bearded and clean-faced chicks from the cross, but all the girls were green-eggers.
They are better layers than my Ameraucana and their eggs are considerably larger.

smile.png

Lisa​

Well, I already have the BR hens, and I mostly care about blue, barring would be a bonus. And, I think they could be sexed at hatching that way (something about a head spot), which would be convenient.
Now, I also have some of the brown and gold colored EEs, some with beards and muffs, some not (I think some people say the color is wild type). I don't know what I would get in feather, maybe some blue, but at least the resulting EEs would be a little more likely to lay blue or green eggs, as they would be more than 1/2 Ameraucana.
Either way, I think that my resulting EEs from these crosses would be more desirable than the hatchery EEs.

I have a barred EE right now, the product of one of my Blue Ameraucana hens with my BR rooster. I also have a black barred EE like Dipsy's, who is the daughter of another of my Blue Ameraucana hens with a BR roo. She lays green eggs with tan speckles.
Here is Riley, my youngest:

DCP_3878.jpg

edited to say, first of all I should have said, what beautiful birds, they are very exciting to look at.
then they got my mind racing and fingers typing, but first- pretty birds.

very interesting. wonder if this could happen,

1st gen
bearded splash roo x barred hen = 50% blue pullets and 50% blue, barred cocks

2nd gen
bearded blue barred roo x bearded, blue, feathered leg, olive egger hens (from another running project) = 25%black barred cocks, 25% black barred pullets and 25% blue barred cocks, 25% blue barred pullets (good luck with the beards and feathered legs here, I am guessing)

and if you had 1000 birds

3rd gen

bearded, blue barred, feathered leg, olive egger roo x bearded, blue barred, feathered leg, olive egger hen, and of course only pea combs and dark legs if we can do that = some likelihood of getting some really cool looking birds.

which of course one would then promptly take back to the splash pen.

just dreaming. good stuff here.

Last edited:
Well, we will see what happens.
We added the Splash Ameraucana Roo and 3 Barred Rock Hens to the Hilton today.
Grandma Rita said she has had birds for 70+ years but never a Splash Ameraucana. Kinda makes sense in that they have only been around for ~30?

We have had 2 hatches of Splash Am. Roo over Barred Rocks. Pics coming soon, they are beautiful...blue, barred, bearded, big. I think we have about 4-5 from first and 5-6 from second hatch.

Back
Top Bottom