Anyone ever had a hen that was such a mother

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Remudamom, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

that she would accept chicks whether she was broody or not? I have a silkie that seems to want to be a mother beyond anything else.

2. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    I wish that was my problem. My first broody only had one hatch live the other day so I had the "brilliant" idea to buy it some siblings. She hates them. I don't know what I'm going to do [​IMG]

3. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Silkies are known for their exceptional broodiness, I had silkie /sussex crosses who whenever they layed an egg would become broody, it was quite frustrating as they wouldn't stop even to the point of sitting on nothing, I had to give them away to someone in need of a couple of broodies. I have never known a chicken that would accept chicks if she wasn't broody if she did I would say she was broody to begin with.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  4. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Several of the black Australorps that we got from McMurray consistently went broody a couple times a summer, and one year one of the non-broody BAs adopted a chick. She went so far as to chicknap it from one of the broodies!

Was quite a surprise to us!

We love the broody tendency, since it's less fuss and less mess to allow a willing hen tend a new bunch of chicks for us. :)

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yes, I had one like that. She was a Dominique, and she would actually steal chicks from other hens.This was twenty years ago, and I haven't had another one like her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by