Anyone ever had a non-setter go broody??

My Ancona did it last year, and she hatched 3 RP turkeys and 6 other chicks

38176_what_is_it_001.jpg

Had 3 Polish go broody. 2 were careless setters, they just went to nest location and sat down. That's it. Not much attempt to keep eggs under her etc. They either sat out til hatch.. or not. The third one was one of the best setters, made huge fuss to keep all eggs under her and only took short breaks(the other two sure took their time).. and was a fierce fighter once chicks hatch.. would fly across the pen to attack me.. every single time the door was opened..
roll.png

None of their offspring ever went broody though.

My best broodies are white leghorn/jersey giant crosses. Mine tend to go broody in pairs. One cochin, one leghorn/giant cross. Then they coparent. Strangest combo ever, LOL.

Here is the most recent batch:

24277_babies_061710_3.jpg

24277_downsized_0703000906.jpg

And the previous batch which was 1 cochin and 2 leghorn/giant cross hens (triparenting? LOL)
24277_downsized_0429001825.jpg

24277_29817_1277573384888_1396616701_30635087_4349828_n.jpg

Funny thing is.....I have 3 barred cochins and 4 white leghorn/giant cross hens. Each "set" up above is a different cochin and different leghorn/giant cross. 3 of my leghorn/giant cross hens have now brooded chicks. The 4th went broody but I was able to break her. I have a 5th leghorn/giant growing up and we'll see if she goes broody too
wink.png

Last edited:
I had a Isa Brown, sat on about 12 eggs last summer, when the eggs started to hatch the chicks disapeared
sad.png
. So I took the last 4 eggs and put them under a lamp, 3 chicks hatched (all girls ) and survived. I think either she ate the other hatchlings, or the other hens did, I had left her in the pen as I did not think she would stay on them
idunno.gif
she was a X egg farm hen. If she goes broody next season I'll get her set up properly, still I got 3 lovely pullets
big_smile.png
out of it.

Minorcas, Leghorns...all have gone broody on me.

My best hen that went broody was always a Minorca. She passed, but apparently not before she passed on her broody genes to her daughter.

Back
Top Bottom