Anyone Ever Had Anything Like This??

MesMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa
We have a stray cat that is co-mingling with our chickens
idunno.gif
Each time we go down to the coop to gather eggs or whatever, we see her, sometimes she's actually IN THE COOP...with the chickens??!! But we don't know if she's holding them hostage or whether they are all tolerating each other, they know she's not a threat, she respects them because she knows they could/would shred her if she got sassy-type of thing or what?! The second she hears us she scurries out and hides under the coop. Now today she was sitting on their ramp :/ They were just doing their thing, a few by the gate (a few feet from the coop) and the rest were out toward the pasture, not minding one bit that that cat was sitting there, very weird yes?? Maybe they don't care and would spook her away if they wanted to get inside?? But I'm wondering... Also, while I was down there today (she saw me and hid under the coop as always) and she was peeking her head out at me, so DD ran and grabbed some cat food and I tossed some to her, and the chickens because you know how they LOVE cat food! Anyway, she came out about halfway and was eating a few pieces and a couple hens wandered over pretty close to her, maybe about a foot away and all were happily eating. They were a little clucky but not sure if that was because of the cat or us having snacks, they didn't seem terribly alarmed and they never do. It's the WEIRDEST thing!

Should I be concerned? We could use a live trap and catch her, take her to the local shelter...not sure what luck they will have with taming her, she's a typical barn cat. Thoughts?

We have our chickens in our enclosed backyard and let them free range and we have a cat (tilly) that likes to go outside for an hour or two at a time and the only thing we worry about is her getting outside the fence, oh and once in a while ash and tilly will play together, and she runs up to our RIR roo and flops over like she wants her belly rubbed or something its the funniest thing to watch.
(before anyone gets their feathers in a ruffle {pun intended} we do watch them while they are outside together)

take as in kill if they wanted to they could my kitty is about 4 lb but she could easily kill one of mine if she wanted to but they are friends maybe it is because she isn't intimidating she is an adult but her growth was stunted as a kitten because of all the fleas and ticks on her, we rescued her.

My cat is scared silly of my girls. They are protected by a fence but he could get them if he really wanted to. He's gotten pecked a couple of times and has learned the lesson. He is getting old so that probably factors into it.

Thats my dogs my mom let the dogs out and when the chickens were about 2.5 mo old the dogs caught two and killed them, now we can't let the dogs out otherwise our RIR too goes after them because he remembers what they did, accidents happen and now they know better.

I reckon it'll be alright with the hens if it stays fed plus you've got a way of keeping rat numbers down now too if there's any in your area.

They seem to have a mutual respect, especially with food at stake-no one got snippy and I really thought it was a good test because she could've swatted at that hen easily.

Oh and my roo couldn't seem to care less and our old cat he was very cautious whenever she was anywhere near the fence line (our chickens have a one acre fenced in pasture and what was once a single horse 'barn' and one side is concrete, used to be where the tack etc was stored and that is where their roost and nesting boxes are)
The mouse population is horrible down there so I'm hoping that she takes care of that a little. I hadn't thought about rats! Ew. And yikes!! Hopefully she'll take care of that too.

They seem to have a mutual respect, especially with food at stake-no one got snippy and I really thought it was a good test because she could've swatted at that hen easily.

Oh and my roo couldn't seem to care less and our old cat he was very cautious whenever she was anywhere near the fence line (our chickens have a one acre fenced in pasture and what was once a single horse 'barn' and one side is concrete, used to be where the tack etc was stored and that is where their roost and nesting boxes are)
The mouse population is horrible down there so I'm hoping that she takes care of that a little. I hadn't thought about rats! Ew. And yikes!! Hopefully she'll take care of that too.
If she sticks around, you might want to trap her and get her spayed/vet checked.

Back
Top Bottom