ANYONE EVER HATCH BANTAMS? NEED HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hjkr1130, Mar 26, 2009.

1. hjkr1130

hjkr1130 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    I have one Bantam that hatched yesterday, I have never hatched eggs before, so I really need HELP !! It is so little, I'm afraid I may hurt it. I let it stay over night in the bator, it didn't dry off for a long time. I now have it in a brooder and the temp is at about 98, I'm still adjusting to get it to 95, but it is shaking at that temp. It's not fluffy at all, and I have dipped the beak in some water with a little sugar, there aren't any other chickens that have hatched, so it is all alone. [​IMG] I could use any advice to help this baby along to a happy life. I have gotten day old chicks before, but never like this. PLEASE HELP

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Do you have the therm at the chicks level?
    You could put a feather duster or a small fluffy stuffed animal in there for it.
    Someone else will know more .
    Good luck

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The feather duster is a very good idea. You do need to be sure you take the temp at the chicks level. If you could find a breeder near you with day old bantam babies then buy it a buddy or maybe 2. Keep him dry and plenty of feed, fresh water and warmth and he should be fine [​IMG]

4. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    I would say it is too early to be fussing with the water dipping etc. It will just stress the chick. The chick sounds weak and it might be good to have a heat lamp where it can move to the heat level it wants. I'm not an expert, but our broody hen just hatched out a bantam chick and it didn't seem to eat or drink for several days, but was vibrant and chirping a lot. Yours may need the rest and warm up for now to recover and then think about the water and food later. Electrolytes in the water can help stressed chicks. Be careful with sugar.
    It won't be great for it if it is all alone. Do you have any other chicks/chickens that might keep it company?

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    hi just hacted of my 3rd buff seabright and a have hacted off 3 other bhatems just like standers but only smller

6. hjkr1130

hjkr1130 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Thank you for your replies !! UMMM I don't have any other Bantams and the girls outside are all heavy breeds (maybe a little over weight too [​IMG] we are doing this as a 4H project, and she seems to be chirpping just fine (hasn't stopped) I put food down with water in a butter top and the heat has stayed the same, I'm taking the temp on her level and her feathers have come out a little more. My 13 yr old won't leave her alone, he is worried that the temp says 95.8, we aren't holding her, but when our hand comes close, she or he tends to move in for comfort. I will try a very small stuffed toy and see how that goes. Any more advice would be great !! I have 6 month old heavy breeds I got at day olds, so the hatching out of the shell thing is new to me. (OH, I did make sure the navel was ok and it looks good to me).

OH I JUST GOT TOLD TO MOVE THE LAMP BECAUSE IT IS COLD 94.8 !! I thought I was bad [​IMG]-

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I dont use a thermometer in my brooders. I just put the heat lamp in right above head high for the chicks. They will find a place they are comfortable. Sometimes it takes bantams awhile to really perk up. Id just leave it alone and Im betting it will be fine.

8. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I would prob. aim for temp around 100 (bator temp) if the chick is that young & not fully dry. I agree with above post to make it so the chick can find it's spot of most comfort, but I would give it plenty of heat.

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I also would aim more for 100°F and the chick will adjust to where it is happy. Either a small stuffed animal or featherduster, I managed to find a feather boa last year for them and also a little mirror works well.

10. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Does it feel wet? Sometimes chick down gets matted so it looks wet but isn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by