Anyone ever have a Coturnix go broody?

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I was just talking with my wife about our Coturnix quail and she asked if they would brood out, I have not heard of any coturnix going broody but I am the only one in this area that really keeps them so I dont have alot of people to ask lol

Anyone?

I asked the same thing a month or two ago and was told that it is quite rare - if ever....
smile.png

i had one go broody but i tried to make there enclosure as natural as i could by adding dried cut grass in there cage and nest and dirt box and i think people have like 5 to 10% chance anyone of there coturnix quail hens go broody

Type "Broody Quail" in the Google search on here a couple people have had them go broody, momzilla had hers go broody and hatch some chicks and shellyd had hers go broody but for only about a week.

It's quite rare but it's possible. In the wild they had to do something to replenish. I know a friend of mine saw them in the wild so they were still brooding somehow
smile.png

I have a pair of Tibetans that are by themselves, maybe I'll make them a nice comfy hideaway to see if I can break the cycle lol

I have 2 female coturnix who take turns keeping the nest of eggs warm. I feel guilty taking their eggs each day, but so goes life. Their coop is in the barn so it's quite chilly now. If I let them hatch the eggs out, would there be any chance of survival? There are 19 in that cage right now. Or if I moved the 2 broody ones plus their nest of warm eggs to the isolation pen, would it work?

I think you should try it!
big_smile.png

I wonder if you move them though, if that will disturb them enough that it would stop. In a perfect world, I guess I would try to remove the others one by one until only the broody hens are left.

But my thoughts are that you should remove as many extra roommates as possible. Quail don't seem to care what they step on! I'd hate for some rare hen-hatched chicks to get smothered that way...

Back
Top Bottom