Anyone ever have a dog with ostiosarcoma?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by busybeelee, Nov 26, 2010.

1. busybeelee

busybeelee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Vancouver WA
    My beautiful four year old Great Dane Matilda has, what they are fairly confident is, a tumor in her rear left femur. They did a biopsy today and we should know Tuesday. This type of bone cancer is fast moving and it will metastisize. The only viable option for pain management is amputating the leg. That will cost more than I can spend and it won't buy us any time. That coupled with chemo would give us a 50% chance of having another year with her but if the amputation is out of the budget ($4000) the chemo (additional $7000) is certainly out of the question for maybe having 12 more months with her.

I am devastated. I know she is "only"a dog but I would appreciate any thoughts and prayers. She spends all day every day with me and my pets are like family to me. There is a very very remote possibility it could be a fungal infection. At this point that is what I am praying for.

Any stories from anyone that has experienced the same thing would be appreciated.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Good luck, sorry about your pup.

Osteosarcoma is not a very good diagnosis. I've never had a dog with one, but have done some study on it with relation to vet med studies. Once there is a tumor visible via x-ray, it has already metastasized. Even with treatment, the patient will develop tumors in the lung next even with amputation of the bone containing the tumor. It is very aggressive and large breed dogs are over-represented as patients. All you can do once diagnosed, is to treat to extend life 6-12 months. Many choose to say their good buys earlier rather than later because extensive treatment can be stressful for the dog through the end as it is not curable.

Try and remember all the good times. [​IMG]

4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    I bred and showed Danes and have *far* too much experience with it.

In Danes I would not do an amputation or chemo. I've just not seen it work. You may get the leg but invariably it is already in the lungs.

Pain medication (do not let them tell you that she can't have it - of course she can), lots of really great days, and try to afford professional pictures before she is in too much discomfort.

Lots and LOTS of really great days.

5. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Fingers crossed for a fungal infection. [​IMG]

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:My Great Dane had one, it was about the size of an apple on her back. My vet said that Great Danes are prone to them. I lived alone at the time and didn't have a lot of money so I just let her live out her life. When the tumor began to ulcerate, I had her euthanized. She was about 9 years old and had been a former puppy mill dog I adopted.

I know exactly what you're going through. [​IMG]

7. chickadiddle

chickadiddle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    I am so sorry that you have to have your best friend go thru this

What we do is think about what will give her the best quality of life, then go for it. If it does not do anything except extend her pain and suffering, then I would let her live out her life with you.

Again, I am so sorry
    Blacksheepcaridgans sums it up very well

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Now first of all, I'm so sorry to hear of your hardship with you best friend. Dogs are not just "dogs" they hold a dear spot in our hearts.
    I have a friend that had a wimeriner (big spelling error there) but she put him on the RALF diet and it helped prolong and helped the pooch and family cope. Its not that it cured, but may be something to help you have some control here.
    God bless you and your friend!

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I am so sorry. I've been through similar things with more than one animal. I won't go for treatment when it will not be curative; the treatments are just too stressful and painful for them; in many cases this is even true for people. Get pain meds for her, keep her as long as she is enjoying her days, and have her put down when you can see life is not fun for her any more, is my route.

My best to both of you.

10. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm sorry that you're going through this difficult time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by