anyone ever have a egg bound hen survive? ***updated***

I have one right now so will be folllowing to see what everyone says.. So far I have soaked and given liquid calcium... she is still running around like she is fine though.
idunno.gif

I soak the hen in warm water and massage her underside for about 15-20 minutes. I wear a plastic glove, put olive oil on it and insert a finger into the vent...lubing the interior. I then remove my finger and put olive oil around the outside of her vent area. I've been lucky and always had the hen lay her egg shortly thereafter.

Well I soaked my hen's abdomen, and then wrapped her in a blanket for a little warmth. I was washing clothes at this time so the bright idea came to me to place her on the washer during the wash and spin cyle and let the washer massage her abdomen after the soak....the next morning she passed a big poop and later in the day she layed a HUGE egg. As of last night she seemed to be feeling more comfortable. So I will post this question below onto a new topic thread.....how do we prevent a hen from becoming egg bound...

Was she in a crate of some kind when you put her on top of the washer Aves. I am still soaking and massaging, but now think she might have fluid instead of an egg:(

I have. I had her in the house, in a crate. I kept her in a quiet, dark room. I lubed her vent and gave her Tums. The vet I had in Memphis grew up with chickens and helped me so much with mine. He advised Tums (because fo the calcium). I would poke a Tums down her throat once a day. She eventually passed the egg and went on and lived to a ripe old age.

Cleaned her bottom thrice daily along with olive oil "injections"

I could palpate the egg inside her, so I just kept putting some olive oil up there and in within 2 days she laid a massive egg.

Yeasterday when I was soaking my hen I put my pinkie up her vent and what I felt didn't make me think egg but when they are egg bound is the ab. hard and swollen or soft and squishy? because my hens is soft and squishy. I've been giving her liquid calcium.

I was holding her while the washer was running. Thelma is a very tame Light Brahma...go figures she is one of of my faves, so this would happen to her, so she just relaxed while I held her on the washer. I placed a tums in her mouth today as well and plan to continue that since it was suggested on this forum... I hope to prevent this from happening again with her or any other hen.

Aves

Aves, was her abdomen hard and swollen or soft and squishy? When you put the tums in her mouth was it whole or broken in bits? My hen is still running around with the rest of the chickens eating good, but she deff, has a swollen and squishy abdomen and she is not fat.

Back
Top Bottom