Anyone ever make their own curtains?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Nov 12, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Anyone ever do it? I got some great fabric and am thinking of it.

Is blackout fabric necessary, or could an additional layer of fabric to the job?

Does it need interlining of some type to not look droopy?

What style did you make? I'm thinking of either the traditional pleats or tie-top.

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    It's very easy. I had mine over blinds, so I didn't line them - they were more for style than function. I did tab-top ones, and they looked great over cafe-rods.

3. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I love the country look and had some beautiful 50s repro fabric. I allowed 2 1/2 times the width of the window. First thing to do is finish the ends with a double seam...then fold down the top of fabric twice and sew..allowing an opening at the ends to slide in a cafe rod. fold down the bottom hem twice and sew. so easy and makes a room look country cozy. I did not use a lining and since it was good grade cotton it doesn't need a lining. although for thin fabric you could use a pull down shade.

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    My mil does or did all the time but would never take the time to show me. She never put anything on the back of them. I have some material and a sewing machine. I have wanted to make scrub tops forever now. I have the pattern.

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    cool!

I got some beautiful white cotton homespun that I'd like to use.

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Been a while but I enjoyed sewing when I had the time.

Never made curtains.

Used to make my own costumes, blankets. A few seat covers.
    Simple things. Really enjoyed hanging out at Jo Anns Fabrics
    before it closed here.

Now my wife she never learned to sew. Not even a button.

(I'm a real man...I also liked ceramic class.)

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I initially made my kitchen curtains unlined out of a nice homespun fabric, but didn't like the way they looked with the sun shining through them, so I lined them with some inexpensive muslin I already had on hand.

Our fabric store sells liner fabrics for drapes/curtains. They have all different thicknesses depending on how much light you'd like shining through.

8. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have made many curtains, quilts, clothes of all kinds including wedding dress and several other formals, even tried a mans suit once (never again).

Curtains are a breeze straight sewing. You will definatly want a liner they will let light shine through, and look cheap w/o it. Doesn't have to be black out unless you need absolute darkness, cheap fabric will do just try and match the weight of the fabric w/ what you already have. Go w/ a solid and make sure it doesn't discolor the fashion fabric you are using.

The style you sew will depend on the decor you are working with and the fabric.

Have fun the point of sewing yourself is you can completely personalize, show your own personality.

9. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    we have a store up here that is a salvage store with fabric. I made curtains for my 20' (not a typo- 20') window. we get a bit too much sunshine some days. I just used the black out liner as they had white or beige colored on one side, rubberized on the back, worked great. as far as my kitchen curtains, I didn't use a liner but it was fabric that looked like old flour sacks, very country.

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    I've made quite a few sets of curtains, I quilt, and I just got a serger so I'm trying some jammies. My daughter chose black and white checkerboard fabric for her curtains so I did line them (found some white sheets at a garage sale still in the package for $2) as they let to much light through. I only went with 1 1/2 the width of the window so the checkerboard pattern didn't get too lost. For my son I found a denim looking cotton (thicker than quilting cotton, lighter weight than denim). It was dark blue and weighty enough to not need any liner. I did the cafe style as well. Super easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by