anyone ever ordered chicks to resell to recoop the cost?

City Chicken

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2012
so, i have an idea. the problem: if i order the amount of freedom rangers i need it's too expensive (under 25)... they are 2.10 a peice.
if i order 100 then they are 1.15 a peice.
i was considering ordering and reselling them for $2 a piece. this would allow me to recoop all my investment, give others a price below the FR site per chick for smaller orders.
basically i could have free chickens and enough for almost 2 bags of feed.

has anyone done this?
i figure that the best way would be to presell to make sure there is enough interest.... use craigslist and local urban farmer/sustainable community.

as anyone done this?

considerations...
people holding me accountable for the health of the chicks and their losses... all sales would have to be final.

my house/yard workshop situation...
brooder in workshop big enough for chicks - yes
yard just under an acre, but they wouldn't be out there anyway

thoughts?

so, i have an idea. the problem: if i order the amount of freedom rangers i need it's too expensive (under 25)... they are 2.10 a peice.
if i order 100 then they are 1.15 a peice.
i was considering ordering and reselling them for $2 a piece. this would allow me to recoop all my investment, give others a price below the FR site per chick for smaller orders.
basically i could have free chickens and enough for almost 2 bags of feed.

has anyone done this?
i figure that the best way would be to presell to make sure there is enough interest.... use craigslist and local urban farmer/sustainable community.

as anyone done this?

considerations...
people holding me accountable for the health of the chicks and their losses... all sales would have to be final.

my house/yard workshop situation...
brooder in workshop big enough for chicks - yes
yard just under an acre, but they wouldn't be out there anyway

thoughts?
We are going to get Freedom rangers come early spring and plan to split the cost with a fellow neighbor so we can all make out on the 100 chicks offer. Maybe you can find a few people like you suggest in your thread. It's a good idea in this economy. Good luck.
smile.png

I did this, this spring with an order from Ideal. Since I live in Canada and its very expensive to get birds from the US I ordered 100, sold 75 and kept 25 for myself.

I presold about half of them, just to make sure I had buyers lined up but not too many that the mortality rate from the trip would leave me short. All sales were final, the buyer could look at the chick and decide if they wanted to buy it. I didn't have anyone contact me afterwards about birds that had died.

Back
Top Bottom