Anyone ever raised ducklings and goslings in same brooder together?

Viking84

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
I am being told that it is not a good idea. That goslings will crush ducklings. Anyone ever successfully raised both ducklings and goslings together in the same brooder?

I've raised Goslings and Chicks in a brooder for uhh...Approximately five minutes, It did not go too well. Plain and simple geese are best raised with geese. Is there a reason they need to be together? Yes, you might be able to get away with it but is it worth the trouble? Putting a divider between the brooder might work.

Reason they have to be together is that I dont want to build another brooder. But I can easily make a divider. My brooder is an old rabbit hutch. 6 feet long 4 feet wide. Half is closed in with a door opening to the other half that is a wire run area. I can easily make a chicken wire divider running down the center to keep ducklings and goslings seperate.

I am being told that it is not a good idea. That goslings will crush ducklings. Anyone ever successfully raised both ducklings and goslings together in the same brooder?
It's not a good idea, the goslings grow so much faster than ducklings and get so much bigger they'll be trampling your baby ducks in no time. Enjoy your new water babies, they're so much fun !

Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to ask the same question. So now that I know they need to be in separate brooders, what happens when they reach 6-8 weeks old and can live outside? Do I have to keep them separate or will the ducklings be big enough to not get injured by big clumsy goslings by then?

Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to ask the same question. So now that I know they need to be in separate brooders, what happens when they reach 6-8 weeks old and can live outside? Do I have to keep them separate or will the ducklings be big enough to not get injured by big clumsy goslings by then?
I raised my ducklings and goslings together for several weeks. The ducklings were so much more calm and loving when the goslings were with them. If you are taking them out at 6-8 weeks I don't think there is any reason to separate them.

I raised 3 ducklings and 2 goslings in the same brooder together until they were grown- never had any issues with them being in the same space or anything. This is the first I've heard of the goslings crushing the ducklings or whatever else. By the time they're 6 weeks old the ducklings should be big enough to hold their own, I can't imagine (unless there's a lot of aggression) that there's really any danger there.

This was just a temporary brooder. I sold most of these. Call ducklings and American Buff Goslings.
1639368631867.png

Back
Top Bottom