Anyone ever seen this happen?

juliechick

Transplanted Hillbilly
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Southeast AR
Okay, this is a new one for me. I just helped a chick hatch because the umbilical cord was wrapped around it's neck, holding it's head down. This egg was the first to pip, but still had not hatched after all the rest, so I figured something was wrong. I started gently picking away the shell, but it didn't poke it's head out like they usually do. After getting it all the way out, I realized what was going on. I had to clip the cord to release it's head. I don't know if it will be okay. It was not opening it's eyes or moving much.

Yes, the yolk was all absorbed. His navel area was pretty raw looking, though. He has moved around some in the incubator and opened his eyes when I checked on him. His toes are still curled up. I hope if he does make it that they will straighten out.

I'll try to get some pictures later tonight.

It may just be exhausted from struggling. Try giving it a couple of drops of sugar water with bird vitamins, or some Gatorade or Pedialyte.

Quote:
I think you're right.
smile.png
He looks much more lively now. I'm tickled that I saved him because he has a really nice vault. (It's a Buff Silkie.)

No one has told me if you've ever had this happen to one of your chicks.

Quote:
I think you're right.
smile.png
He looks much more lively now. I'm tickled that I saved him because he has a really nice vault. (It's a Buff Silkie.)

No one has told me if you've ever had this happen to one of your chicks.

Yes, you did right.
This have never happed to my chicks, but thinking about it, I guess it may not that rare.
hu.gif

How are her toes now?

I had one I helped hatch a few weeks ago and her toes were curled apparently as she didnt build up the muscles during hatch. I taped them when she was out of the bator and the feet were as good as new after a week.

PS its the baby in profile pic with the duck like feet :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom