Anyone ever try the dry hatch method before?

I have done dry incubation in my homemade incubator. I just add water at the end in a pan i have under the eggs. Sometimes sponges too or wet papertowels. I use my LG and turner now and i keep it around 100 degrees F. When i dry incubated in my homemade bator, i would keep the eggs in an egg carton with a coffee mug (turned sideways with the handle like a kickstand) under one end, then when it was time to turn them, i would just move the mug to the other side. You should turn three times a day, at least, or an odd number of times. That way the eggs aren't on the same side every night while you sleep. I only use my homemade bator for hatching now. I hope i answered some questions. Again, this may not be for everyone, but it works for me.
big_smile.png

I am so glad this post came up. I just set 12 eggs in my Brinsea Octagon. My temp is always spot on 99.5 degrees. The humidity without any water in it is 45%. When I added water it goes to 75%. So I currently removed the water for a dry hatch at 45%. That's as low as it goes. I don't own a dehumidifier. We'll see how it goes! I'll add water after 18 days. Thanks everyone for this informative thread!

Jim

IMO, a fan will pull more moisture from an egg; so if the humidity level is higher than you want, try adding a fan. Pull a fan from an old PC tower and wire to an old adapter. Instructions are here on BYC--do a search. I'm still trying this theory in an experiment. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

I need help!!

After 3 miserable attempts of summer hatching in Ga, I am trying something new. I moved my incubator into a part of the house with a constant temp, and with a constant humidity of 50%. I thought I was following this advice- https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html, but things aren't going smoothly??

I have eggs settling from shipment that need to go in tomorrow. My bator's temp is fine, but the humidity is only 19%. This is with both plugs open, which I thought would stabilize it to the humidity in the room. So, now I have no idea what to do in order to make the bator and the room sync up, humidity-wise. Do I add some water? It doesn't say that in the article. I need some advice-- and QUICK!!

sad.png

Quote:
Hi, I'm in the South too, in East Tennessee. I started my dry hatch on Mother's Day weekend and my chicks hatched exactly 21 days later right on schedule with no problems. I had had several unsuccessful hatches a few times before with fully formed chicks that did not hatch so I did the dry hatch out of desperation. However, like some here have said that they added water at different times I NEVER added water at all. I just put my eggs in my automatic turner and closed the lid and never opened it again till my chicks hatched. I had 7 out of 10 eggs hatch that way. Like I said in my post that started this topic I practically walked away from my LG incubator only checking it every few days to be sure the temp was staying right. I knew that it was set to the right position from all the times I had tried hatches before so wasn't too concerned about it but checked it anyway now and then just to make sure. But, like I said I never did add even one drop of water to that hatch and it was the only successful one I ever had. Needless to say that is how I will do it from now on.

GrannyPat

Last edited:
So I have had my incubator running for 2 days with no water in it. My humidity level is right at 20%. I am going to put eggs in tonight and try a dry hatch. Is 20% humidity to low?

Back
Top Bottom