Anyone ever use Green Roof Chicken coop design??

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif
It's wired for cable... don't actually have it set up.
lol.png
Yes, you got it right.
thumbsup.gif
I was thinking of a rabbit hutch too, but the problem is no room for expansion. We want to "start" with 2-3 hens, but we all know how that goes.
lol.png
I was looking into maybe getting an XL wood dog house (like the ones for outside) and modifying it.... making a thing for it to sit on and have a lower run for them to play in plus some boxes on the sides.
hu.gif
For the floor, I was thinking of maybe a tarp method... possible sand/DE. Not sure yet about the inclement weather yet, esp since we've been getting a lot of rain here.
idunno.gif

Ask anyone on this site........you will love the chickens and want more. If I were you, and you are not using the shed for anything else, I would make it one big chicken coop. Everyone on here will tell you the one wish they had was that they would have built a bigger coop. You have a great opportunity to never have to say that!

Does your HOA allow you to keep your chickens in an outside run, but won't allow a permanant outside coop? So are you looking for a way to keep your chickens in the shed part of the time, at night & in bad weather? I still don't think you need to make something really solid or heavy for the inside, take a look at the coops section & look at the small coops & also the tractors, like this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=16313-chicken-tractor You could make something like that inside the shed, maybe even make another one for their outside run.

For their flooring inside plan for easy cleanup. Maybe lay some cheap linoleum on the concrete floor inside the pen. Then you can lay shavings or straw on top of that. Make a door in the pen by the shed door so you can easily sweep the dirty litter outside, maybe even hose it all out.

Hi All!
I just came across this post... I installed a Green Roof Chicken coop in my backyard, and I love it!

I have to be honest though, my friend and I loved our coops so much that we launched the www.greenroofchickencoop.com website as a side project, so I'm a bit biased. That said, I did want to confirm what a couple people stated in that it is easy enough to build the coop without the garden. Personally, having my coop outside, I love having the extra garden space, but I see why not everyone would want it.

Our goal was to design a coop (with help of an architect friend) that looked great, in addition to being functional. I think we did a decent job, but I'm sure there are ways to make it better.

Since there is such a great discussion here, I wanted to ask you all for feedback. Positive... Negative... please, let use know what you think of our coop. We're always looking for ways to make it better. I realize you don't have the coop in your yard, but based on the website photos, what do you think?

Also - are there other DIY plans you have used that you liked? Are there plans you bought that you didn't like? Just curious...

Selling chicken coop plans for 35 bucks is never going to replace our day jobs... but you have to love the fresh eggs! Right?

Rich

Back
Top Bottom