Anyone ever used a clay-pack with a peck injury???

Leihamarie

Songster
Jul 28, 2016
San Diego
Hi all,

Has anyone ever used a clay pack of Calcium Betonite Clay to pack an indented peck wound??? I am treating my 6 week old for a nasty old indented (well... can't be THAT old, she's only 6 weeks) seemingly peck wound near her vent under her right wing. I don't have blu-kote and I'm not too keen on using it after reading the mixed reviews about its safety. Problem is after spraying it with Vetericyn, packing it with hydrogel and topping it with animal first aid goop/ ointment, she is pecking at it herself. Her goal is to scoop the ointment out. I've added a drop of tea tree oil and blue food coloring to deter her which worked yesterday, but today she's pushing through the nasty taste and I think pecking cause the ointment is shiny. I saw online somewhere that a fantail pigeon bite-wound was packed with green clay and had great results. I'm considering dusting the shiny ointment with calcium betonite clay (it's what I have on hand) to dull it and hopefully remove the target. Anyone ever had this type of situation and/or used clay or an alternative to blu-kote??

I've only had her for about 72 hours and have been treating her for about 36 now. the wound seems to have a nice scab and doesn't appear to be infected although it does look nasty and it's a litle oozy but I cleaned it and took the black skin off yesterday. it looks like a crater in her little fanny. I am also giving her some diluted oregano oil in her food. She's eating and drinking and begging for mealworms just fine. Even went for a "dust bath" today which resulted in my having to irrigate the heck out of the wound again.

I'm a newbie at this. She's my first chicken and I have been a backyard chicken keeper for exactly 72 hours now so I appreciate any experiences that you can share. I've read a lot of the other peck-wound threads but she's so little and it's all so new.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Has anyone ever used a clay pack of Calcium Betonite Clay to pack an indented peck wound??? I am treating my 6 week old for a nasty old indented (well... can't be THAT old, she's only 6 weeks) seemingly peck wound near her vent under her right wing. I don't have blu-kote and I'm not too keen on using it after reading the mixed reviews about its safety. Problem is after spraying it with Vetericyn, packing it with hydrogel and topping it with animal first aid goop/ ointment, she is pecking at it herself. Her goal is to scoop the ointment out. I've added a drop of tea tree oil and blue food coloring to deter her which worked yesterday, but today she's pushing through the nasty taste and I think pecking cause the ointment is shiny. I saw online somewhere that a fantail pigeon bite-wound was packed with green clay and had great results. I'm considering dusting the shiny ointment with calcium betonite clay (it's what I have on hand) to dull it and hopefully remove the target. Anyone ever had this type of situation and/or used clay or an alternative to blu-kote??

I've only had her for about 72 hours and have been treating her for about 36 now. the wound seems to have a nice scab and doesn't appear to be infected although it does look nasty and it's a litle oozy but I cleaned it and took the black skin off yesterday. it looks like a crater in her little fanny. I am also giving her some diluted oregano oil in her food. She's eating and drinking and begging for mealworms just fine. Even went for a "dust bath" today which resulted in my having to irrigate the heck out of the wound again.

I'm a newbie at this. She's my first chicken and I have been a backyard chicken keeper for exactly 72 hours now so I appreciate any experiences that you can share. I've read a lot of the other peck-wound threads but she's so little and it's all so new.

Thanks!
Can you post some photos of the wound?

If it's "oozy", then it could possibly be infected.

Can you post some photos of the wound?

If it's "oozy", then it could possibly be infected.
Oh yes, I've got pics, lol! I really hope it's not infected! I am SUCH a newbie at this though, I don't know if I would be able to tell.
This was how it looked 3 days ago when I found it, before cleaning, hydrogel, ointment, etc...

took these this morning... this is after 48 hours of tending and care. To me it looks WORSE, but I don't know chicken healing processes yet.

It looks like it could be starting infection. Try soaking in some warm epsom salts bath, then debride and flush with some saline or betadine.
Apply some plain neosporin or vetericyn. You want to let air get to it.

It looks like it could have been a puncture or even fly strike. Did you see any signs of maggots in the wound? Does it have an odor?

Thanks! I soaked and debrided it yesterday and no, no maggots, no infection. I irrigated it REALLY well with a strong iced tea color povidone iodine/water solution then sprayed it with vetericyn, packed it with hydrogel and topped it with ointment. The resulting scab you see there is from the last 24 hours. Also, I should mention a lot of the black color is actually a "blue" food color that I added to the ointment to cover the pink/red color of the wound. I've been following it up with twice daily spraying of vetericyn, packing again w/ hydrogel and topping with "blue" ointment. Should I soak her again tomorrow and remove the scab again?

Last edited:
Is it still oozing?

You may want to just soak her tomorrow and reapply the vetericyn. Wounds on chickens usually heal fairly if allowed to have a bit of air on the wound.

Last edited:
Is it still oozing?

You may want to just soak her tomorrow and reapply the vetericyn. Wounds on chickens usually heal fairly if allowed to have a bit of air on the wound.
just a quick update... the wound is almost completely healed... can't even really see where there was a wound in the first place, it's incredible! Such a scary event for my newbie chicken-mom self! Thanks for your responses and insight!

just a quick update... the wound is almost completely healed... can't even really see where there was a wound in the first place, it's incredible! Such a scary event for my newbie chicken-mom self! Thanks for your responses and insight!

Glad to hear she is doing well!

If you don't mind, tell us how you ended up treating the wound so it will help others.
smile.png

Glad to hear she is doing well!

If you don't mind, tell us how you ended up treating the wound so it will help others.
smile.png
Sure thing! Honestly, I don't think I did much at all, I think she was the real star in her healing process, lol! after the last pictures I posted I was gonna soak her again, but the next day that scab fell off and when I went to check on it and treat, it was SO MUCH SMALLER!!! So at that point I just sprayed Vetericyn 2x a day (morning and night) and at night just before bed I'd pack some hydro gel on it so it would soak in all night without her pecking at it. I did that and watched the hole get more and more shallow and smaller and smaller.

These pictures are from this morning ... I can't even see where the wound WAS! :)

Sure thing! Honestly, I don't think I did much at all, I think she was the real star in her healing process, lol! after the last pictures I posted I was gonna soak her again, but the next day that scab fell off and when I went to check on it and treat, it was SO MUCH SMALLER!!! So at that point I just sprayed Vetericyn 2x a day (morning and night) and at night just before bed I'd pack some hydro gel on it so it would soak in all night without her pecking at it. I did that and watched the hole get more and more shallow and smaller and smaller.

These pictures are from this morning ... I can't even see where the wound WAS! :)

That looks great!

Chickens are resilient and do heal fairly well, but your diligence in applying the Vetericyn and hydro gel everyday played a big part in her healing I'm sure.

Thank you for the information - I wish you well!

Back
Top Bottom