Anyone ever wing band adult chickens?

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
6 Years
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
I have decided to switch from zip ties to wing bands as a form of identification for my flock. The 2 Araucana pullets I have came wing banded. I have found a few videos online for wing banding baby chicks, but I have yet to find a single video of a person wing banding an adult chicken. Is it the same as wing banding a chick? These are the wing bands and applicator that I am considering buying. https://pinnonhatch.com/Poultry-Sup...ftszoppXD0Y7gdBwKEGO1W3-cwq45_GQaAhASEALw_wcB
So has anyone wing banded an adult chicken? Was it the same as wing banding a chick?
Thanks in advance.

I do it and will be banding a few in short order as adults. Process for me having large hands is easier with larger chickens. Except when teaching, I do entire process myself. Slow part is arming the the pliers with the tag. Retention is not 100% so I back up with easier to see leg bands.
Does it matter if the wing band is applied over the feathers? Will the feathers eventually cover the wing band?

Also should a gap be left like in the diagram below?
928A5FDF-2A79-490A-A040-091DDA691A1B.jpeg
I believe that gap is left to allow for the wing growth, but since I will be banding adult birds is a gap necessary?

Gap needs to be such that web cord does not pull too much against band when wing is in relaxed / closed position. When wing is outstretched the web cord is most distended. If the gap is too big, then hole can be too close to web cord increasing odds it can cut the cord. You do not want that as wing will be effectively ruined as a flight organ and not fold up properly. Having too much gap can make so the exposed band can catch on things decreasing odds of retention.

Open a bird's wing to see how the webbing behaves. Also note how short the feathers are covering the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom