Anyone every hatched quail eggs under a bantam?

becky3086

Crested Crazy
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Thomson, GA
I just wondered if this was possible. I don't have much luck hatching chicks under my broodies, lol, but I wondered if it would work for the quail eggs, like maybe under a small bantam.

I've never done it before, but I did read somewhere that you could. The only instructions I remember was to choose the smallest hen possible and the ones with out feathers on their feet. I'll see if I can find a link to the article, but so far I haven't found it.

Ken

someone on here does but i honestly forget who hopefully he replies soon!
smile.png
Its possible, and it's how the chinese/japanese used to incubate their coturnix....and they used none other than the SILKIES! They had incubation methods but they had the best luck with silkies
smile.png

ETA newly hatched chicks are removed and put into their own pen though a big ole silkie could smoosh the lil guys lol

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking for fun next time my pigeons lay putting a quail egg under them but then that means one less pigeon egg so im not gonna just yet atleast
tongue.png

I actually have a pair of doves that are incubating 4 quail eggs, though theres only so many they could lay on. I sure do hope they'll hatch, it will be cool to see the quail chicks with momma dove.

Quote:
I think they are supposed to be non-broodies, but evidently someone forgot to tell some of them that. I've read on here many times of people that had broody seramas.

Back
Top Bottom