Anyone every hatched quail eggs under a bantam?

I have hatched them under a broody bantam however once they hatch the hen leaves the nest and the die. so what I have been doing now is putting the eggs under them and just before hatch I pull them and put them in the bator to hatch still saves me time and money'
wink.png
' and no dead babies. If my Bantam was better she would stay with them but shes not

I wish my little OEGB would have taken these eggs, she is a very good mama! I do have a silkie hen that has been broody for about 3 months, maybe I'll give some to her? I can't break her up, so might as well indulge her!
big_smile.png

My seramas definitely go broody but I don't know if they would take the quail eggs as I have never tried but I just wondered. Have been reading all these posts about self sufficiency and wondered if you could hatch quail eggs without an incubator.

Quote:
I know pigeon only lay a pair of eggs each time (and one male one female guaranteed), but I wonder what would happen if mama pigeon found 3 eggs in her nest?
smile.png

I remember many years back when I had chickens and quail, that I hatched about 30 quail eggs under one of my bantam chickens. I think the hen was a BB Red. Seems like she even took care of them until I took them away from her.

I am sure each type of chicken is different and could behave differently with strange looking eggs. It is certainly worth a try to see what they will do. The lighter the chicken, the better!

I hatched out two batches of chicks under my silky bantam (feather footed, in fact). I just made sure to pull them out as they hatched and put them into a brooder. I was hatching some in an incubator at the time, and couldn't tell them apart once I had them all in the brooder.

I think my hatch rate was around 90% with her, not too shabby for a hen that wouldn't lay any eggs since she was broody....

Quote:
I know pigeon only lay a pair of eggs each time (and one male one female guaranteed), but I wonder what would happen if mama pigeon found 3 eggs in her nest?
smile.png

We had a pigeon here recently that 'borrowed' an egg from a different nest. So she was sitting on 2 eggs and a teeny, tiny baby
big_smile.png

And the thing with the sexes (with pigeons anyway) is that if the babies are the same sex the parents will kill one of them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom