Anyone familiar with DENAGARD ??

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Another member recently posted about an antibiotic called Denagard. It's supposed to a great preventative/cure for a variety of poultry ailments. And they say it can be given to laying hens with no withdrawal period. Here's some info: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/novartis-animal-health/2281/denagard-premix-for-poultry-denagard-premix-the-right-choice-from-novartis-animal-health

The
member who suggested it also posted links to articles about it:
http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/avian_mycoplasma.htm

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/mycoplasma_sensitivity.htm

Here's info from the Denagard website: http://www.tiamutin.com/vet-poultry/firstchoice/en/protection.shtml

And
a link to a place that sells it: http://www.qcsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=denagard

If
anyone else has information/knowledge/experience with this product, please let us know! If it's all it claims to be it sounds like a terrific product. And if you use it, where have you found the best place to buy it?

a very kind poster sent me some denagard a while back to try and beat a nasty disease/sickness in my flock that was killing my chickens faster than the local fox could(!) (thought it was cocci or blackhead but didnt respond to normal treatment for either) it cleared up after 5 days of denagard

then just a few weeks back a hen from a local farm wondered over and 'joined' my flock, bringing with her a nasty respitory infection which knowked a lot of my chickens down. i treated with 2ml denagard per 1 litre water for 3 consecutive days...(treated ALL chickens) and not a single snuffle/sneeze/gurgle since
smile.png
) great stuff, just wish it was easier to get hold of!

Last edited:
I have used Denagard for respiratory infections as well as a preventative. I dose my birds for 7 days per month at the rate of 8 cc. per gallon to ward off mycoplasma infections. If I have respiratory symptoms such as sneezing, coughing etc., I dose at 15 cc. per gallon. It has worked on respiratory problems that nothing else, including baytril, would touch. I've ordered it from QC as well as other places online & it is the swine treatment as it is not approved for use on poultry in the US (although widely used throughout Europe). One word of caution is that the medication is extremely bitter so make sure your birds are drinking it - I've had birds that nearly stopped drinking altogether to avoid the bitter taste, especially at the higher doses.

I've been having a hard time getting my chickens to drink this. I've put so much sugar in it that it's almost syrup and they still don't want to touch it. I'm afraid that any benefit they're getting from the Rx is compromised by them not getting enough water to drink. Plus, it's so expensive & I resent having to discard so much untouched medicated water each morning.

I have been having success by making them a mush with layer crumbles wetted well with the medicated water. They will eat that, especially when I sprinkle cracked corn on top.

I just thought of something, I wonder if it would help to sprinkle cayenne pepper, either in the water or over their mush? Maybe it would be strong enough to mask the bitter Denagard.

I really don't know how well this stuff is working, or if I would ever buy it again. It's hard to tell, I'm fighting a particularly tenacious upper respiratory ailment right now. Some birds have gotten better/symptoms have gone through just using the powdered antibiotics like Tetracycline & Duramycin. Then it comes back, can't tell if it's the same ones snorking again or if it's hitting different ones each time.

We're on Day 5 of the Denagard now, I'm going to give it to them for 2 more days. Most of the snorking has gone, except for one older hen who started showing symptoms on about Day 2, and 3 young pullets who have been snuffy for a while. I may have to cull them if they don't get better after all this.
sad.png
The thing with this illness is that most of the sick birds have continued to be active & perky despite their congestion, continued to have good appetite & activity. That's what has kept me hopeful through all these frustrating weeks.

Anyone got any better ideas on how to get the Rx down into the chickens?

It was advised here to give 1 T per gallon for preventative measures, 2 T per gallon for treatment of symptoms. But few of my birds want to drink it at any strength. The only way I can get most of them to swallow it is to pour it over a bowl of their layer pellets and make a mash. And I did get some young pullets to drink it by adding a few drops of red food coloring into their waterer, let's see if by day's end they drank enough. It's very frustrating & discouraging, to have spent all this money and time only to have most of the Rx going to waste and not into the birds it's supposed to be treating.

Denagard treats mycoplasma diseases. There is an initial treatment dose and a monthly preventative dose.
The treatment dose is 16cc's denagard per gallon of water for 3-5 days.
The monthly preventative dose is 8cc's per gallon of water for 3-5 days.
There is no egg withdrawal, 3 days slaughter withdrawal. Do not mix ACV or meds into the mixture. It is bitter, some people add karo syrup to it. It can be added to feed to make a mash for birds to eat. I recommend leaving the mixture out for them to drink being their sole source of water to drink for the 3-5 days.
QC Supply sells Denagard.

Back
Top Bottom